Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    RAY BRADBURY WEEK in Los Angeles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAY BRADBURY WEEK in Los Angeles
 Login/Join

posted
A LITTLE HISTORY: Last July I wrote an essay on Ray that was posted by Geoff Boucher on his Hero Complex blog at LATimes.com, Searching for Ray Bradbury. I sent the link to Heather Repenning, Senior Advisor to Los Angeles City Council President Eric Garcetti, with the note asking if it might not be a good idea for the city to recognize Ray’s 90th birthday on August 22, 2010. She wrote back immediately and said that yes, indeed, she did think it was a good idea. We agreed to meet on this after the first of the year.

We met in February and discussed several ideas, one obvious one being the City Council recognizing Ray’s birthday by a resolution. Now these are usually in the form of declaring So and So Day in Los Angeles. Heather and I agreed that Ray was too big, too important a writer, and too much a lover of Los Angeles for just one day.

Therefore, on August 20 the City Council will consider a resolution declaring August 22–28 RAY BRADBURY WEEK in Los Angeles.

With RBW as a base, I decided to stir some pots to see what events and activities could happen during and surrounding the week. I’m working on ideas that:

• Involve the Los Angeles Public Library
• The Writers Guild of America, west
• Media outlets in Los Angeles
• A possible gallery show of art related to Ray
• An evening of celebrating Ray and his work

And I’m open to good ideas from all of you and encourage you in your communities to find ways to recognize Ray on his birthday and to celebrate the man and his work. Also i have started a RAY BRADBURY WQEEK Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/.../345974751571?ref=mf

Best to you all,

Steven Paul Leiva

Posts: 8 | Registered: 24 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steven, many thanks for trying to get things moving in Ray's adopted city. Let's hope your efforts will also inspire celebrations elsewhere!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great! You are just all over this! Can we get the same in Waukegan?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about everybody who can, call the Waukegan mayor's office, tell them what we're do in Los Angeles, and ask him what "Green Town" intends to do?

posted Hide Post
I am happy to announce that on August 20th after the Los Angeles City Council considers the the resolution declaring August 22-28 RAY BRADBURY WEEK there will be a reception at City Hall for those involved that will be co-sponsored by City Council President Eric Garcetti and the Writers Guild of America, west.

posted Hide Post
Hooray!

Not wishing to be negative (but I AM British, and we always look on the dark side if we can find one...), but what if the City Council didn't pass the resolution? Has any similar resolution ever been rejected?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Not wishing to be negative (but I AM British, and we always look on the dark side if we can find one...)

I thought that was the Scandinavian Lutherans.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hooray!

Not wishing to be negative (but I AM British, and we always look on the dark side if we can find one...), but what if the City Council didn't pass the resolution? Has any similar resolution ever been rejected?

It would be wrong to say that I went to school with one of the city fathers, Richard Alercon, and I'll remind him he used to get beaten up all the time when we were in the 7th grade.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is likely that there will be an objection to the resolution. Unless, of course, one of the council members is a closet book burner.

posted Hide Post
Is there any web page besides the Facebook group where those wishing to attend events can get a full schedule and list of accomondations?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Is there any web page besides the Facebook group where those wishing to attend events can get a full schedule and list of accomondations?

For Glendale I suggest our Hilton or Embassy Suites. For the more budget minded there is the Vagabond Inn and Golden Key Hotel. All four hotels are walking distance from Ray's birthday party and are ten or so miles from the downtown L.A. or Beverly Hills events.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, where can one find a list of the events?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Thanks, where can one find a list of the events?

Dandi:
Facebook is where Steve has been posting information: http://www.facebook.com/home.p.../345974751571?ref=ts

The flyer for the public birthday party is August 15th at 2:00 p.m. at Mystery and Imagination:
https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...91083901/m/522108304

Email me back-channel for more info.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Great to see Mr. Bradbury's life and work will be honored in such a way!

My wife and I are planning a trip out to L.A. at the end of August. We won't be able to make it out for Ray's official birthday party on the 15th, unfortunately, but would love to attend any other Bradbury-related events. I scrolled through the Facebook page, but didn't see a list of goings-on. Perhaps I missed them somewhere, but can't for the life of me see them. Could someone point me in the right direction and/or post a list of events? If so, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Posts: 37 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Everybody! sorry I haven't been on this board of late. I am waiting to see if we lock two plannedevents for RAY BRADBURY WEEK. Once that happens I will post the full schedule on the RAY BRADBURY WEEK Facebook page, and I will try to do the same here. I hope everything gets locked by the end of this week.

Best to all,

Steven