Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    are these bradbury storys?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are these bradbury storys?
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking at Bradbury being the author of two short stories that I would like the titles of.

One is about a commuter on a subway that has a strange sensation during his commute and I believe the premise is that people are being studied like an ant farm.

The other is about a gardener and his greenhouse in a post-apocolyptic world. I think this one was made into a movie short.

Any help one these would be appretiated.

Thanks

Dean

Posts: 1 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That first premise has been used in more than one story but I don't recognize that particular setting.

The 1972 film "Silent Running" was written by Deric Washburn and Michael Cimino (as Mike Cimino) and Steven Bochco. It was also a book, but I think that was a novelization of the film, not a book first.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These replies came by way of the newsgroups rec.arts.books.childrens and rec.arts.sf.written.

Could it be "The Tunnel Under The World" by Frederik Pohl?

I don't remember any subways in "The Tunnel Under The World"...

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The subway story strikes me as something by Harlan Ellison - maybe "Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman."

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These replies came by way of the Booksleuth Forums at Abebooks.

It's definitely not that, and I can't think of any Ellisons it might be. I'll keep mulling it over, but so far the only similar one I can think of doesn't involve subways (or transportation) at all.

Try Issac Asimov's early story 'The Little Man on the Subway.'

Published in 1950 in Fantasic Stories - and reprinted in book form in the UK in Panther 'The Early Asimov Volume 2.

Regards
steve

posted Hide Post
This reply came by way of the newsgroups rec.arts.books.childrens and rec.arts.sf.written.

Hmmm... I don't think that one fulfills the description either; there isn't anything about people being studied like in an ant farm, but rather, a jnaanor-tbq gelvat gb trg rabhtu oryvriref gb fhccbeg uvf cbjre.

Marco Antonio Checa Funcke
Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru

Huh? That's not Greek to me and somehow doesn't seem quite like Spanish either.

posted Hide Post
This reply came from aRJay by way of the newsgroups rec.arts.books.childrens and rec.arts.sf.written.

That's because it is ROT13, each letter is replaced with the one 13 letters later in the alphabet. Many newsreaders have a control to decode this somewhere, there are also websites that will also do the work.

This reply came from Rocambole by way of the BookSleuth Forums at Abebooks.

It's rot-13. Translates as "wannabe-god trying to get enough believers to support his power".

posted Hide Post
This reply came by way of the Community Forum at Abebooks:

FYI, the novelization of "Silent Running" was by Harlan Thompson; I have a copy, very thin little paperback.

The movie was one of the first "true" SF films that I saw in the theater.

JasonCR