Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know when Ray Bradbury may be appearing in Los Angeles anytime soon? I just missed one of his events this weekend--DRAT!

Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 23 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not alone in your frustration. I received notice from a friend about Ray's appearance only hours before the event and couldn't go.

This message board is the best place to stay informed about Ray's appearances, so keep checking in. There is some sort of poetry reading event coming up, but I don't remember the details and can't find the post...can someone find it and bump it to the top please?

Don't even bother checking the "Appearances" page in the main web site. It's scarcely updated, and now they even have the audacity to refer people to the message board!

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoops, apparently the poetry event has come and gone. That makes two I missed!

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Chicago at Columbia College on Tuesday night there is a video showing of a recent interview of Ray. It's part of a book/author week-long event there. It's not as good as seeing him in person, but it's something.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 03-23-2003).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone think I should attempt to identify and contact Ray Bradbury's assistant? If he would only e-mail me about each appearance, I'll post them to the board as soon as possible!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion::::T

There used to be a ...Ruth Alben (think that's the correct spelling)...years ago arranged many of Ray's speaking schedules, if failing memory serves me right.... Do you recall her? If so, do you know if she's still around..and still have anything to do with Ray's appearances...?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is something about a mysterious grey-bearded "event Nazi."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regards to Imskippper's message, it is my understanding that a recent videotaped interview with Ray will be shown at 7:00 PM on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 in the Auditorium of the Harold Washington Public Library in downtown Chicago. The event is to be led by Ray's authorized biographer, Sam Weller, who apparently also did the interview. I suggest that anyone interested in attending contact the Library directly to confirm the date and time.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I always assumed the Event Nazi was part of the event staff -- but as much as it scares me to think he could have been Ray's assistant...go for it dandelion!

posted Hide Post
So just who is this mysterious "event nazi" and how is he associated with Ray?

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video interview with Ray Bradbury and authorized biographer Sam Weller is listed on the Chicago Public Library web site. It is Tuesday, March 25 at 7 pm. Sam Weller will be there.

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Phelps,

I believe the event Nazi dandelion refers to is an unpleasant man in a bad suit I once ran into at Ray's Long Beach appearance in October. He was actively discouraging autographs at a reception and rushed Ray out of the green room against his wishes.

Read the post under Inspired by Ray/Long beach was fun.

At the time I assumed he was part of the event/organizer staff since he was so concerned about the schedule.

posted Hide Post
Also keep an eye peeled on the Los Angeles Festival of Books for a possible Ray appearance. He was there last year.

posted Hide Post
Upcoming in June 20-27, '03...
for all those somewheres aound LA.

Ray is Guest Speaker at the...

� Santa Barbara Writer's Conference �

...held at Westmont College, in Monticeto, California... right outside Santa Barbara. (That's about 100 miles north from LA, a quiet, scenic 2 hr drive).
Ray usually opens the session on a Friday, but best to check. Sometimes he also speaks on Saturday. Used to be $5.00 to get in to hear... but that was 10 +years ago. Let's 'guess' it's not more than 12- 15$

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-25-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two events, less I am mistaken, concerning Ray and Columbia College. One in Chicago, the other West Coast.

Check it out...
click on, or type into finder:

for West Coast, when site opens, type ... Ray Bradbury ....into searchbox....
http://online.colum.edu/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=&restric t=&format=%3Cselect+name%3D%22format%22%3E%OD%OA%

for Chicago (tonight)...scroll down to Ray Bradbury section when site opens... http://online.colum.edu/calendar/

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-25-2003).]