Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ray is on the list of "confirmed" authors appearing at the Los Angeles Time Festival of Books (held at UCLA).

The event will be held April 26-27 2003 and is free. Advance (but still free) tickets are required if you want to attend a panel.

More info:
http://www.latimes.com/extras/festivalofbooks/index.html

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone out there old enough to remember that the group started out as The Mistic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. They used to play local venues around S. Calif like UC Irvine campus in the late '70s. Ah,'tis good to have accummulated so much trivia.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was living in Orange County, California at the time (specificlaly Fullerton, California)...and remember the name.... Yep!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any youngsters out there need enlightening on the true meaning of Oingo Boingo, try reading Ray's Story "Junior" from The Toynbee Convector. One of my favorites.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, there will be an encore presentation of the video interview I did with Ray (along with the Chair of he Columbia College Fiction Department). Short notice, I know, but it will be aired at the school tomorrow, Friday the 23rd at 5:30 pm. I have been so busy with the book that I haven't had the time to post anything on this. The presentation will be in the Hokin Center Annex, 623 S. Wabash Avenue. I will be there and the setting is much more intimate than the large Washington Library Auditorium that was used the last time.

Love to see you there to celebrate all things Bradbury!

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam:

It's a bit ironic seeing you as a "junior" member!

Hope things are going well with the book. This is the biography of Ray that we're all waiting for, right?

Any chance a transcript of that interview could be posted on the Ray Bradbury page "In His Words" section?

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 05-23-2003).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Sam,

I hope all is well! How is everything going with the book?

Best,

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoops! I get Sam Weller's message post at 1:25 PM Chicago time. Dont think I'll make it. But since I already saw it, I can only say it was a terrific interview. Worth a second showing, undoubtedly....for anyone.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg & Mr. Dark,

Regarding the bio -- it's coming along very well. I turn the manuscript in this Fall and then we'll see what kind of edits are needed. I have clocked hundreds and hundreds of hours with Ray in the last few years and know for certain that this will contain much new insight into his life. I have unearthed many new biographical discoveries relating to his childhood. There will be many surprises between the two covers, new light cast on familiar tales, and, I hope, a true sense of the man we love. There will also be as many never-before-seen photographs as the good people at William Morrow will let me get away with. I have hundreds that were not included in the Weist book.

This is not an easy story to write. Ray has lived and continues to live a fantastic, prolific, densely packed life. Getting it into one book is a mammoth task, indeed. Ray never slows down and God bless him for it!

Speaking of which, an update on all things Bradbury:

*The October Country Play opens next week in Los Angeles.

* The big book of 100 stories comes out on his birthday.

*Simmering on the back burner is a new collection of many of his essays. This will be another huge book entitled, "Too Soon From the Cave. . .Too Far From the Stars" (after the essay of the same title).

*He is halfway finished with yet another collection of great short stories, tetatively titled: "The Cat's Pajamas." This should include the story, "Hail to the Cheif," the short story he has been talking a lot about at lectures recently in L.A. He just finished another story yesterday!

*He doesn't like Michael Moore using the title "Fahrenheit 911" for his next documentary based on the fact that Ray beleives the vast majority of people don't remember the numbers, "451" and may mistake it for the long anticipated Darabont remake. Plus, personally, Ray feels this is his title. He came up with it in his garage in 1953 and it is his baby. He suggested to Moore to use as an alternative: "Ray Bradbury, Where Are You When We Need You!"

*And as for that long awaited remake, last I heard, Frank Darabont had finished his Indiana Jones screenplay and was moving right into doing "451." Frank contributed a beautiful essay on Ray for my book that I hope will be included, but, knowing the publishing business all too well. . .there are no guarantees. Stiil, this paean is an absolute knockout.

* And the last great, great news....he is thinking of finally finishing the sequel to "Dandelion Wine," --"Farewell Summer." All that is left is an ending and Ray doesn't want to push it. He is waiting for it to come to him during his "theater of morning."

That's all the news for now! Sorry for any spelling errors. I'm writing on the run!

Best,

Sam Weller

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Thanks for all the updates. Amazing stuff. We all envy your days and discussions with Ray Bradbury and look forward to your research and insights in book form.
Keep us posted.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Green Shadow, I too would like to thank you for all the updates on Ray, Sam. All the news is very exciting. I'm glad to hear that Ray is still going at it so hard. He amazes me. I can't wait to get my hands on your book!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks from me, too, Sam. Is there any truth in stories posted here about Ray planning to appear at events out of state, or even across the country?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Sam,

Thanks for the fantastic update! I'm very excited by all your news. I'm really looking forward to reading the book. I'm also thrilled to hear about the new story collection and about "Farewell Summer." Please continue, if it's not an inconvenience, to keep us informed! I can tell your book is really going to be something special.

Best,

Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg Miller (edited 05-25-2003).]

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Thank you very much for all that great stuff. With that information-packed last post, I could literally feel the excitement level on the site rise several notches!
I am, as are we all, greatly looking forward to checking out your book! Best of luck on the remainder of your project!

Writing Reptile,
The Danny Elfman from Oingo Boingo is the same one who wrote numerous film scores for Tim Burton? Very Cool. I've wondered for a while, but I wasn't sure...
Don't feel old.
Feel cultured.

Cheers,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be gone for so long from the board (but no one noticed, right?). Been working on my Next Big Thing. Plus, it's the last two weeks of the quarter, and my script is due next Friday and just thinking about it makes my hair fall out.

DanB: I feel cultured...like expired yougurt!

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post