Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Icarus Montgolfier Wright

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Icarus Montgolfier Wright
 Login/Join

posted
For years, I have wanted to see this short-subject, which was filmed in the 1960's using drawings by Joe Mugnaini. The screenplay was co-authored by Ray and his friend, George Clayton Johnson. While it was nominated in 1962 for an Academy Award for best short subject of the year, the film seems to have vanished. Does anyone out there know whether copies of the film still exist and are available for purchase or rental?

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try a search on E-Bay or Amazon.com. I was looking for a copy of "The Screaming Woman" for several years, and someone here directed me to E-Bay, and a copy is winging its way to me as I write this. It's worth a try.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard:
Try this for at least some info on Icarus film:
click on, or type into finder: http://www.bcdb.com/bcdb/detailed.cgi?film=38879

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm posting this for the heckuvit. There is a couple films I'm not familiar with here. Maybe you'll find one or two, also...
http://us.imdb.com/M/person-exact?Bradbury%2C+Ray

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another of RB's stories with allusions to real events. "The Flying Machine" from Golden Apples of the Sun.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/30/china.wanhu/index.html

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 10-08-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should be shown, on some channel, somewhere, for the Wright Brothers' 100th Anniversary!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Does anyone out there know whether copies of the film still exist and are available for purchase or rental?

I have a copy on DVD-R, given me by George Clayton Johnson.

Just got done watching it, and it's a beautifully filmed short, very well written by RB and GCJ. Mugnaini's artwork is striking!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, about a year after my 2003 posting, I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of the film on VHS. You are right: it's a fine, beautifully done animated film, and it's a shame it is not more readily available for public viewing. And for those who may not be aware, the film's narration is expertly performed by two superb actors: James Whitmore and the late Ross Martin (the original Artemus Gordon on the TV series, "The Wild, Wild West").

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: How might one contact you? "Have you" an e-mail address on site somewhere? Thanks.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RBFAN%&>
posted
Yes I also would like to get a copy of Icarus Montgolfier Wright. How would I do this? Thanks
RBFAN57

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be of interest. Painting depicting Icarus, Montgolfier and Wright.Painting

Get higher resolution at this website:Painting high res

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bytorbass,

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curiously appropriate image, thanks bytorbass!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post