Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Sam Weller talk in Lisle IL tomorrow
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sam Weller talk in Lisle IL tomorrow
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Biplane,
I'm not all that young (52, actually), and Stan's alive and well. He did a Part 2 of "Stan Freberg Presents The United States Of America" a few years ago (which included a few of the original cast including June Foray and Jesse White - just before Jesse died), and I believe still hosts a radio show called "When Radio Was".
Have you read his autobiography?
Great Stuff.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I have not read his autobiography but I will look for it in our library if not order it as I love books period. Stan has got be up there a bit in age, but it is great to hear that he has a show.

Another regular on The Danny Thomas Show was Hans Conried, who I got to meet while in college when he did a lyceum program and I was assigned as a reporter on the campus paper to write a feature on him. He played, if I remember correctly, Uncle Tanoose (Ihave no idea how this was spelled.) He later had a TV show called "Fractured Flickers" relating to movies being goofed up or something. Hey guys, thanks for the information.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 09-17-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane,
OK, you've got me started.
Stan's book is "It Only Hurts When I Laugh".
Library should have it.
I envy you your meeting with Hans Conried - one of my favourites. He was on radio too. The "Fractured Flickers" format was silent films with goofy dialogue dubbed. Since it was a Jay Ward production, the voices were done by the "Rocky & Bullwinkle" cast including Conried, Bill Scott, Walter Tetley, June Foray, and the great Paul Frees.
Maybe we should start a "Whatever Happened To..." thread?
I got to meet some famous talented folks including Dizzy Gillespie, Bob Clampett, and Vincent Price...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

Funny that you should mention Vincent Price. I am an alumnus of what is now known as Truman University, Kirksville, Missouri. Back in the olden days when I first attended it was called Northeast Missouri State Teachers College, then Northeast Missouri State University.

They had invited Vincent to present a Lyceum program (much as the same with Hans Conried) and he made such an impression he returned, annually, many years thereafter. This, unfortunately, was after I had graduated and I would read about his visits in the alumni newspaper. It seems that he became quite enamored with the school and, in turn, the school with him.

I just wish that I could have taken the time and went down (I lived only 64 miles north in Ottumwa, Iowa) and seen him. But, what do they say about 20-20, or I am confusing my sayings.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

Oh, I just remembered--it's hindsight!

posted Hide Post
Biplane,
When I saw him it was in the '70s in Los Gatos, CA where he gave a talk on art and recited a few things from memory, including Poe's "Conqueror Worm" !

posted Hide Post
Forrest J. Ackerman relates that he was thought to resemble Vincent Price. When they couldn't get Price, the studios got Ackerman for "half-Price."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1:

My silly little story about meeting Stan Freeberg goes like this: I was once at one of Ray Bradbury's plays, and Ray was standing in the lobby with his friend Stan Freeberg... and I was wandering around out there in the lobby and Ray says, "Hey Nard, I want you to meet Stan Freeberg." And so I went up to him and shook his hand and I said something like, 'Oh, how do you do..'. and then went on with whatever it was I was doing. I kinda knew who Stan Freeberg was in the back of my basic asleep brain somewheres, but hadn't the notion to jump up and down and hollar Huurah!! (sorry to say). Out of the corner of my eye I catch these two look at each other with a ...whatta you make of that? kinda look. .

And THAT... is my complete, without -frills- and- all- there-is -to-the-story ... of meeting Mr. Stan Freeberg.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Your story is not silly at all and I thank you for sharing it with the other readers. How many would get that opportunity, even if you weren't "up" on who Stan was. I wish I had been there as well.

Anyway, I always enjoy your posts. Keep up the good work.

posted Hide Post
This seemed like the most appropriate link to add this item. The December, 2004 issue of "The Comic Buyer's Guide" has a brief article on Norman Corwin and Ray, and mentions that Mr. Corwin might be working with Ray on THE RAY BRADBURY RADIO THEATER project. For those who do not know, Mr. Corwin is perhaps the most acclaimed writer and producer for radio in that medium's history, and has been a good friend of Ray for well over 50 years. The thought of these two gentlemen working together on this project is very exciting news. Here is a link devoted to Mr. Corwin:
http://www.normancorwin.com/

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link! Coincidentally, I just listened to "On a Note of Triumph" last night. Still very moving.

posted Hide Post
Hey, I have a couple of letters from Norman Corwin. He is way cool.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, I picked up a recording of "On A Note of Triumph" many years ago when I was in college because I am a fan of Bernard Herrmann's music, and noticed on the LP jacket that he had composed the score for that 1945 radio broadcast. After listening to the recording, I learned who Norman Corwin was and immediately became a Corwin fan as well. I agree: it's a memorable production.

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Bernard Herrmann's music.
I still listen to my worn out LP "The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann". which includes the music from "Fahrenheit 451" which is some of the most gorgeous ever written.
Another great radio broadcast available in "Greatest Shows of the 20th Century selected by Walter Cronkite" is "Brave New World" featuring Herrmann's music AND narrated by Aldous Huxley!