Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Just Spoke With Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Spoke With Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Called Ray this afternoon to congratulate him on his Pulitzer Prize and ask who would accept it. He says, "isn't it wonderful" and "wouldn't it be exciting," and that he plans to try to travel to New York in May to accept it himself!

I also asked his opinion on the film "the last mimzy," which is based on a short story by his great teacher Henry Kuttner, and Kuttner's wife C. L. Moore, under their joint name of Lewis Padgett, but Ray says he has had to give up entirely on theaters and can view movies only on DVD.

He gave the usual staggering list of projects, including three plays, and ANOTHER new book in 12 weeks. (I almost felt like saying, "Have mercy! I can't read as fast as you can write!") Bless him, though; he is an inspiration and a wonder!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion: Kinda ditto. Ray left a message on my cell phone about the Pulitzer Award. Unfortunately, he also said he's not answering any question for a few weeks, specifically the questions posted on this website couple weeks ago. Bummer! I should have acted more quickly.

But Great Fun! Late in Life! New York. Pulitzer!~ Ray's riding high. We're ALL happy for him for sure!!!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you get the impression he's in some sort of hurry, perhaps in connection with the other projects he mentioned? He always gets off the phone fast but it seemed a little quicker than usual.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BRAVO!
...again...
Ray's daughters have promptly affirmed their desire to be with and travel with their Dad to New York and the Pulitzer Awards!
_______________________________________________________________________________________

...and Ray said there just might be time next week to answer all those posted questions afterall...

Stay Tuned!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very exciting! Thanks both of you for sharing. I wish I could call and congratulate him and hear that boyish excitement ring through the wires like you all. I think Weller's going to have a career updating his bio.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm older than all of you and I cut my teeth on the science fiction stories of Ray Bradbury when I was growing up. I didn't realize at the time, however, that C. L. Moore and Henry Kuttner were mentors of his. Wow. Anybody have some photos of C.L Moore that can be emailed? Thankyou.

Posts: 1 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, Nard: New York, New York!!!!! When, Where, Who, What, and How??? Let us know the details and if at all possible to get a ticket or a chance to climb over or under the fence, I'd make a most valliant attempt to be on hand. REALLY!

fp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CORNUCOPIA:
If you go to the Bradbury link below, three rows down, right hand side, there's a photo of Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore.

Oldest? You'd be surprised at some of the ages of the more seasoned onliners.

fjp451: Do you live around New York City?

LINK:
www.raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/7861025892
__

posted Hide Post
NYC is 6-7hrs SE of our hometown, as the crow flies over the Adirondack Mts!

A stone's throw compared to the Gold Coast! Where - When exactly, the great day for Mr. B?

After some digging: "May 21, the day the 2007 Pulitzer winners will be honored at Columbia University, Low Library"

ALSO: Unlike the elaborate ceremonies and royal banquets attendant upon the presentation of the Nobel Prizes in Stockholm and Oslo, since 1984 Pulitzer winners have received their prizes from the president of Columbia University at a modest but mellow luncheon in May in the rotunda of the Low Library in the presence of family members, professional associates, board members, and the faculty of the School of Journalism. The board has declined offers to transform the occasion into a television extravaganza." Hmmm?

If only Mr. Bradbury would adopt me for the day!! Maybe my idea of "under or over the fence" is becoming more of a reality.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under the fence. Get in as his official videographer.

posted Hide Post
I'm actually conjuring a possibility ~ would Mr. B consider recognizing me as a "professional associate?" (A 6+hr. drive is not only manageable but typical, in view of our locale near the Canadian border.)

posted Hide Post
Are you in direct contact with Ray, or can you get in contact through Nard? I would like to see you attend as a correspondent for the website.

posted Hide Post
I am actually sending Mr. B a package from all of us at our school in congratulations of his upcoming Pulitzer honor (probably the middle of next week-more details later). I have Nard's e-mail address, I am sure, somewhere.

Your thoughts and offer, Dandelion, are amazingly kind!

posted Hide Post
They are kindly intended and sent but not without ulterior motive. I want your report, with video, better take still pictures too just in case, for the website!

posted Hide Post
I too just got off the phone with Mr B. When asked how he was doing, he replied that he was great, and "trying to get some work done".

I told him that a friend of mine in France was wondering if he could get permission to shoot The Pedestrian as a short student film, and he told me yes!

So good news Alexandre, but he said he wanted you to write him, so he asked me to give you his address, so please respond to my email, and give me your land-line if you've got one (I can call French land-lines for free!).

He told me that The Pedestrian had also been filmed as a student film fifty years ago - "how about that!?", he asked. "Your stories sure hold up well over time", I replied!

I said "I'll see you in Torrance in twelve days", and he said "I'll see you there!"

He's swell.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post