Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Miracle of Rare Device
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Miracle of Rare Device
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
PS Before I forget, has anyone seen the 'Ray Bradbury theater' version of the story? Is it any good?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that episode, but it was several years ago, so I won't be able to give any details. (bad memory) I do remember liking it though and feeling that it was very true to the story.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help everyone! You've given me some very interesting interpretations. I'll bear all your ideas in mind when I write my script.
Cheers to everyone who replied!
Thanks again,
vic
PS any other interpretations still welcome!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm ordering the book today. Thanks Mr. Dark, you get it!

The labels "Faith and Imagination" are colorful metaphors for man's perpetual quest to compartmentalize and disect the depths of spirituality. In parallel, this life has been guided by 50% faith and 50% imagination, so I relish the read!

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,
A lot of libraries, my own included, add discarded library books into their collections for used book sales. Occasionally, they are lazy, and don't remove identifying markings from the library. Either way you're probably safe... but my advice would be- just don't talk on a cell phone, check all of your mirrors to make sure they're only one way, and keep the tinfoil hat tight around your ears!
remember-
YOU DON'T SCREW WITH THE BOOK POLICE.
THEY SCREW WITH YOU.

paranoiacally yours,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the friendly warning. I've been getting lax -- it's time to watch "Enemy of the State" again!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few random thoughts: it wasn't until I started studying poetry in college that I learned where Bradbury got the seemingly-unrelated titles to many of his stories. Could that be why he told me not to go? I have so many ex-library books the "Library Police" became a running joke. Mr. Dark, my advice would be to do even as I did: go to some office supply place and pick up a rubber stamp set. To have a custom stamp made costs at least $8.00. I went to K-Mart and got a set for $9.00 in which you can spell out anything your heart so desires, so I spelled out DISCARD and use it on all ex-library books not already properly marked. Best of all, the letters are interchangeable, so if I hear any signs of the Library Police on their way, I can take out those letters and put in some non-incriminating combination. Just let me know if you get any suspicious phone calls or other signs of unusual surveillance so I can delete this part of the post and swear I know nothing!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit 451, the temperature at which stolen library books burn!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

Still have a Los Angeles library book that has NOT been returned. I couldn't stamp D-I-S-C-A-R-D on it !

It's a book on the type designer, Goudy.

What happen is this:

The book was already overdue, but before I could return it, the Los Angeles Public Library in downtown Los Angeles burned down. Gutted ! Then I sort of forgot about the book. Now you reminded me of it again....But what should I do with this book, now some 15 plus years overdue?

Come to think of it, I hear of a lot of libraries burning down, or substantially damaged. What gives? Is this like, normal amount ratio of fires in US? Hmm. Haven't seen a survey / poll. So don't know.

(Click on, or type into finder): http://www.libraryfoundationla.org/foundation/history.php

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-02-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the "normal" rate of library vs. other burnings, but one of my favorite books is an ex-library copy of "S is for Space" which belonged to Pioneer Middle School. This was after "Pioneer Middle School has no middle" became the joke phrase around town, after a teacher left a coffee pot plugged in and it gutted the school, including burning the entire library! Maybe those religions that teach coffee is evil are right, but it was sure a blessing that winter to those who got paid to clean and repair the school! When I found that book in local thrift store I couldn't help regarding it as a "brand saved from the burning" and haven't had any inclination to try to return it. If you want to return yours, find out if that library has an "amnesty week" when all overdue books can be returned without fines, and just send it then.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post