Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I do not feel comfortable with this

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I do not feel comfortable with this
 Login/Join

posted
I hate to bring this up. The NASA website has been on the web for a very long time and people from all over the world have been visiting it. But now there is a little indroduction and it has a lot of patriotism in it. I know the being patriotic is a good thing but I don't believe that NASA should only be something to do with America. It should be more like a "human kind" thing. Now I know that many of you will disagree with me but when I studied in Sri Lanka for almost 10 years I learned that We stepped on the moon. That is Man stepped on the moon in 1969. People didn't care if that man was the American, the Russian or whever he came from. It's humanity. We all know that this country have been invading and trying to gain power over many poor nations but that doesn't mean that America rules the world. Everyone should have the right to National Self Determination. NASA is one of the aspects. I believe that it should be the way it was before. A website full of valuable information that anyone in the world could access. Some people might hate this country for doing such a thing. Americans may have their patriotism and they should keep it in this country. Sure NASA belongs to America but NASA shouldn't represent that America rules it should represent the human kind and how "we" are trying to explore space. I am not saying that "America sucks" but I just do not agree with what they did for the NASA website.

[This message has been edited by SharktheFish (edited 03-12-2003).]

Posts: 18 | Location: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your position as a kind of false alternative. The fact that one astronaut was from India and another from Israel has NEVER been played down by NASA. The planting of the flag on the moon was an accomplishment of Americans, but was also a step forward for all humans. The International Space Station is an international effort, and we have frequently taken astronauts from other nations on the Shuttle flights. The fact that -- after the Columbia tragedy -- NASA has chosen to wave a few flags is just not a problem. It is, after all, an American program and institution.

The claim that this country has been invading and trying to take over other countries is a bit of jingoism. You should go back and study your history. We have not set up colonies; and when we leave a nation we have invaded, we generally spend billions of dollars to help them rebuild. Name a single other nation that does that! But to say (or imply) that we cannot be involved in nations (such as Afghanistan and Iraq) that are direct threats to our autonomy and security is just a contradiction to the rights of nations to protect their borders and the lives of thier citizens.

Besides, this is a Bradbury site. Can you give me Bradbury's position on any of this? If not, this may not be the best place to debate the patriotism of NASA.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's been an interesting little debate raging on usenet lately about how not everyone even believes anyone ever walked on the moon! You can view the discussions by going to www.deja.com and type in rec.arts.books or rec.arts.sf.written by way of Google Groups. I've heard the estimate at 20% of Americans and probably higher in certain other countries. As I remember, a lot of the first astronauts were Air Force pilots, which does indicate an American military background, so support of the position of the president is not out of place.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
click on, or type into finder: http://www.tacomapjh.org/patriotact.htm

It ain't about NASA, I'll tell you that much....
(but then, who knows, it's a lengthy piece)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SharktheFish,

Don't know why you came running to the Bradbury Board from NASA's web site to complain, but as long as you're here...

I challenge you to check your prejudices and assumptions regarding America's quest for world domination. I think much of your problem with the NASA intro can be found in these assumptions.

About the intro--it seems only to be a timeline of significant moments in NASA's history--and it is bound to America and American history. I can't see how this is an example of missplaced patriotism.

Also, Americans have every right to be proud of NASA and of our accomplishments. If you ask me, American's could use a little MORE pride in our space program.

Waving our own flag doesn't take anything away from anyone. Your comments seem to me nothing if not jealous.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, did you meet Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka? He said on the Amazing Randi's site that he was sorry, if the moon hoax survey was true, to learn that 20% of the American people were idiots. He had held a higher opinion of them before hearing that. One site cited in the recent moon hoax discussion was at www.badastronomy.com which offers detailed explanations regarding hoax theories. Ray Bradbury said he was comfortable with the idea of a moon landing in 1932--it just took the rest of the country 30 years to catch up!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NASA is an acronym for National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) - the agency of the "United States government" responsible for developing space exploration and research initiatives, as well as coordinating various communications-related projects. http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefArticle.aspx?refid=761569121

So, as RB states in his CODA in later editions of Fahrenheit 451, if they want their own version of the story, let them write it and not change what really is and has been.

Or maybe you would like to do a NASA site yourself and everyone who has the same point of view could acknowledge your efforts.

Your comment "I am not saying that "America sucks" in itself (in my interpretation)implies some underlying irritation with American philosophies. Where are all of the placards denouncing the loss of 3000 lives in the Twin Towers? Last night, just minutes from where I live, 11 young lives were lost in a Blackhawk helicopter accident. I pray for each of these brave warriors, their families, and their many friends. They were putting themselves in harms way for my sake and my family's, and all of us for that matter.

The communities all around us have been jarred by this occurrence. How can I not speak up in support of my Country and those who make far greater sacrifices than I will ever be able to make! So, the word choice in your comment, on this Ray Bradbury site!, seems to be a bit misplaced, to say the least.

Patriotism, indeed!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-12-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I mentioned this before, but what the heck)........

About 15, 16 years ago, met Col. Jim Irwin very early one morning while he was running around a high school track. After a brief conversation, he invited me to a private home, in Whittier, California, suburb of LA later that evening, where he would be speaking. The evening would be a gathering of about 50 people, friends, family, and stragglers like myself And there, amidst snacks, conversation with Irwin and others, we were treated to very special "home movies." Jim did the narrating for us, since the film was silent, run thru a small home projector.

If you don't remember Jim Irwin, he was part of Apollo 15, and the one who drove the Lunar Rover on the moon at that time. What makes this different, perhaps, is that Jim Irwin was showing us this film as an evangelistic tool. A nominal Christian beforehand, the trials and tribulations of going to the moon, brought him to a confrontation of Jesus Christ into his life, and Salvation.

As the film rolled, he explained to us everything that was going thru his head at the time. We all watched him driving the Rover, camera mounted on the front. Right now, on the moon, is an open, red letter version of the Bible, sitting on the seat of the Lunar Rover.

Afterwards, he talked further of the importance of the Word of God, passed out his own specially printed gospel tracts, and had time for one-on-one conversation.

No one doubted that he did go to the moon. What sort of nonsense would be for a man, who claims to be Christian, to lie all about it in such a manner. What is this, some sort of 'looney' conspiracy. Was Irwin delusional? Were we? Come on!! Of course not !!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-12-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NK,
Yes. You've said it.
As time passed, everyone became a part of the (hated Roman) "status quo." The firemen were easily transformed for burning books, not putting out fires! No one seemed to remember.

We've been warned!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-12-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post