Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Black Ferris...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Black Ferris...
 Login/Join

posted
Hi...

I'm doing a research on the black ferris. And I was wondering if You could give me some information about when I was written, and where Ray Bardbury got the idea from. I hope You will help us.

Thanks,

Charlotte, Denmark...

Posts: 3 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot something. *GG*

If you know anything else about The Black Ferris, You're welcome to write that to.

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Charlotte,

I think the story was written sometime at the end of the 1940ies. It is published in Dark Carnival and also adapted into a comic book version in the early fifties. I am going to look it up when I am back home and get back to you with the details

Posts: 4 | Location: Dortmund, Germany | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.audiorevolution.com/dvd/revs/somethingwicked.shtml

1948, then as Something Wicked This Way Comes. (Click above)

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlotte,

it seems that I have to correct and improve upon my above post regarding some details:

The story "Black Ferris" was planned to be used in the collection titled "Dark Carnival" (1947), yes, it even was supposed to be the title story but was actually never included. It was published after all in a then well known magazine called "Weird Tales" in May, 1948, followed by a quite faithful comic adaption in "The Haunt of Fear" No.18, 1953. From there it went through a never realized screen play to a full fledged novel called "Something Wicked this Way comes".

Hope this helps for starters ;-)

Posts: 4 | Location: Dortmund, Germany | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So most of Bradbury's fans never saw the original story till it appeared in "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" when that came out in 1980.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

It really helped.
Allthough � would like like to know why Bradbury wrote about a ferris and not something else, but that's proberlay (don't know how it's spelled) something he doesn't want people to know.

But thanks for the help once again.

posted Hide Post
To open a whole can of worms, here's a story mentioning how the ferris was changed to a carousel in the novel: http://www.rodserling.com/msloan.htm

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post