Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    PEPPERMINT STICK JESUS - How did you know?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PEPPERMINT STICK JESUS - How did you know?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I remember reading this in my July reading of Dandelion Wine. Great line.

A nice, non-judgmental view of God.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ever read... James Whitcomb Riley
Poet, Philosopher, Theologian?
Hmm...!!

I say 'Hmm!'...because here's one of those writers who incoporate God- images and God-name and beautiful demonstrations of God's -presence. But did he really understand God, in a personal Christian way that he seems to expouned? Actually, a debate continues, so many years after his death. I would lean to 'not.' Others also...and still others, not-so....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-09-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ignorant of him. Is he worth reading? If yes, What work of his would you recommend to someone uninitiated in his writing/thoughts?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
Gee, too much to note....
But here's part of a poem that regards something of God as 'legend'....Other times, it's left up to the reader to figure out....

����
I deem that God is not disquieted...
This in a mighty poet's rhymes I read:
And blazoned so forever doth abide
Within my soul the legend glorified

Though awful tempests thunder
overhead,
I deem that God is not disquieted...
The faith that trembles somewhat yet is sure
Through storms and darkness of a way secure

Bleak winters, when the naked spirit hears
The break of hearts, through stinging sleet of tears,
I deem that God is not disquieted:
Against all stresses am I clothed and fed.

Nay, even with fixed eyes and broken breath,
My feet dip down into the tides of death,
Nor any friend be left, nor prayer be said,
I deem that God is not disquieted.

����

But here's a link should you wish to inquire....

click on, or type into fiinder: http://www.bsu.edu/ourlandourlit/Literature/Authors/rileyjw.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-09-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post