Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help! What was that Short Story Title???

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! What was that Short Story Title???
 Login/Join

posted
Years ago, I recall reading a wonderful short story collection by Ray Bradbury, one story in particular has stuck with me, it involved a futuristic society that lived totally indoors, the children were educated at home by computer linked classrooms, and any travel was done via teleporter...no one went outdoors, except the robots who tended the lawns. Please, what was this story? And in what book can it be found?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm sorry, butr i cant help. i just looked through all the short stories looking for one myself, and i dont remember finding what your were looking for. i can tell you its NOT in Driving Bling, Quicker then the eyes, Classic Stories 1, or October Country

Posts: 8 | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, unless I'm very much mistaken, it's not by Bradbury. I just posted it on two literature boards and received no answer. If it's worth two bucks to ya, submit it to "Stump the Bookseller," at www.logan.com/loganberry, the best site of its kind.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This answer came from rec.arts.books.childrens at Google Groups:

Sounds to me like one by Asimov, which I think is called something like "It's Such A Beautiful Day". If the one you're thinking of ends with the main character, a child psychologist as I remember, saying "It's such a beautiful day, I think I'll walk" then it's definitely this one. Not sure which collection you'd find it in, but there's so many collections of Asimov stories around it shouldn't be hard to find.

If it's not this one, then I recommend this one anyway!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This answer came from rec.arts.books.childrens at Google Groups:

Sounds to me like one by Asimov, which I think is called something like "It's Such A Beautiful Day". If the one you're thinking of ends with the main character, a child psychologist as I remember, saying "It's such a beautiful day, I think I'll walk" then it's definitely this one. Not sure which collection you'd find it in, but there's so many collections of Asimov stories around it shouldn't be hard to find.
If it's not this one, then I recommend this one anyway!

posted Hide Post
There are several bits here that sound like Asimov's, from the home-schooling by computer ("The Fun That They Had"), to nobody going outdoors except the robots (The Caves of Steel). Can't remember Asimov using the bit about the teleporters, though.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you one and all. It's been 30 years or more, since I've actually read the story, or stories in question, but I do believe you are all quite correct. I've ordered a copy of "Isaac Asimov: The Complete Stories" which contains both "It's Such a Beautiful Day" and "The Fun They Had".

My apologies though, to the group, for confusing the work of Isaac Asimov with that Mr. Bradbury.

Once again, your help has been invaluable...and you've made an old man with a foggy memory, very happy.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This reply came from SAMK by way of rec.arts.sf.written at Google Groups:
Actually, I think it was in a collection Asimov edited, Children of the Future.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-21-2003).]

posted Hide Post
This reply came from JasonCR by way of the BookSleuth Forum at Abebooks.

I think that the reply that it is an Asimov story is correct.� I will look thru my copies at home to see if I can find it.

Good Story!

Yes, found it!

"It's Such a Beautiful Day" is in Nightfall and Other Stories by Issac Asimov.� ( Of course, it could be in other collections of his works too. )

"Door" breaks, so boy Richard has to walk outside and finds he likes it.� His mother Mrs. Henshaw is horrified and gets Dr. Sloane to come talk to the boy.� Dr. ends up being converted too and leaves saying "You know, it's such a beautiful day that I think I'll walk."

One of Asimov's best!

Thanks, Jason! You are one of the best!

Cori

posted Hide Post
I certainly don't think it's an insult to mix up Bradbury and Asimov. I've just spent most of the last several days reading short story collections by both men, and I must say that it's tough to find a better way than that to spend valuable reading time!

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an anthology edited by Asimov called "Tomorrow's Children", in which there's a story by RB called "All Summer in a Day", which has some resemblance to the story described by kjb. Dr Asimov was always very complimentary about Ray, and I'm sure neither author would mind (or would have minded) being mixed up with the other.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post