Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I ate dandelions this week and thought of Ray.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I ate dandelions this week and thought of Ray.
 Login/Join

posted
The extremely little town I live in in Illinois is full of old timers who go way back. My gardening neighbor, whom we affectionately refer to as "Uncle Jessie" gave me recipe for fried dandelion blossoms, boiled dandelion greens and is tracking down another old timer for his dandelion wine recipe (as well as one for persimmon wine). I have fried up two batches of dandelions and felt a connection with a time gone past - any takers? Anyone else want to try it? If so I will post recipies. They were tasty to the palate and to the soul.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post, post, please post away!

The grandkids oughtta get a kick out of eating them. It'll be a fun project for the weekend. The dog and cat pee kinda has me concerned though.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Arabs make a great dish using dandelions. Can't recall the name, but I ll ask my neighbor for the recipe; then I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick some fresh dandelions in the daytime (anything that comes from the earth might have pee on it - growth hormones in milk & meat are what concerns me)

Pluck the stems off and save the blossoms

Soak the blossoms in salt water for 10-15 minutes to get any insects to swim out and wash any Rover pee off

Make an eggwash with a beaten egg and a little water(I use a vegan egg substitue - suit yourself)

Crush some saltine crackers in a blender/food processor or a ziplock baggie and crush with a rollong pin - crush to a fine batter

Dip the dandelions in the eggwash then the batter and fry in butter, margarine, olive oil, sesame oil or whatever you like

Serve 'em up hot and enjoy the snack

Experiment and tweak the recipe to your liking

As far as the greens go - just soak them in salt water, rinse them, boil them alone for about five minutes and boil or fry with your favorite veggies or meat

Peace & Love,
Greentown

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kiddos will get a kick out of this - thanks for posting the recipe! OH - I wonder about allergies, though?

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops! Forgot I was supposed to get back on this.
My Arabic neighbor cooks the greens in water, drains them and (I think this is right) lightly sautees them with onions in olive oil and tops them with tahini.
Simple, but quite sapid!
(Like that word, sapid. Can you tell I do a lot of crossword puzzles?)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BII: Sounds close to what we grew up with. Garlic, diced, and bit of fresh black pepper ground over the mix. Serve hot and then squeeze some sliced lemon over the top and a dash of salt(if your diet allows).

A loaf of fresh, warm bread with butter and a glass of wine, include some of your favorite cheese (so much for the diet!), and you have "dandelion greens" at their finest.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post