Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nard:

Why is Gibson limiting this release now?

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it Gibson who is limiting the release, or is it just that the major chains are going to wait and see the response before putting it into wide release?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what a just read, the movie will be released to at least two thousand one hundred screens (2,100). Hardly can you call this ...limited...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Limited was a bad word. From what I've read Gibson's distributor is the culprit. It is being released in over 2000 theaters but "it will be in very select theatres only."

Here's the article: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/13/114005.shtml

Some segments from that article:

"Friedman guesses that the film's distributor, Newmarket Films, chose a pattern that "concentrates heavily on the South and the Midwest, focusing on the Bible Belt and locations where [the film] will meet with the least resistance."

"According to Friedman , Gibson's distributors have targeted black neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods and cites as an example that "all the Magic Johnson theatres in the country will show the movie, as will multiplexes in urban centers.""

posted Hide Post
The Catholic church has brought out a book not specifically mentioning the film, but emphasizing their teaching cautioning believers not to place on the Jews all the blame for the death of Jesus.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As per "limited release," any film that does exceptionally well, usually goes into a bigger "wide release". This is often done on purpose, to do two things.

One: word of mouth advertising. Get the buz going, and everyone can't wait 'till it comes out. When it does come out at your local theater, you'll already have heard good things about it. Drawback? It has to be a good movie.

Two: A strong running. If everyone sees the movie opening weekend, a lot of hype is put on the picture, which dies quickly if the second, third week, etc. do not sell as well. If you have two opening weekends (one limited, one wide) you can sustain the hype by catching all the people on the wide release that were missed in the limited. Drawback? The picture has to do well on both of those weekends, otherwise you're hurting yourself by having less people on one weekend.

How will POtC stand up? I predict: quite well. Just about every church, bible study group, etc. in my area is planning some kind of mass exodus to go see this movie on Ash Wednesday (I'll be among them) which will make for a very strong opening weekend. The hype will be out and those who didn't see it (and those who want to see it again) will go and see it the next weekend. The success of this movie can have an effect on the film industry. I think it's amazing that it's being made, and wonderful too!

Dandelion,
I am not downplaying what you stated, but I just wanted to make it clear that the Catholic Church runs a very wide gamut of people, and thus a wide spectrum of beleifs, attitudes, etc. For one Catholic to say or do something does not mean his view or action is a Catholic view or action.

I do think it's funny, though, about all the "controversy" in that as a Catholic, and I'm sure for any Christians, I was never taught, nor did I even think of the crucifixion as being the Jews' fault. It was always about being the price of sinners and non-beleivers, so when this whole thing came out, I thought it was quite odd. Hey, no one complained when Charleton Heston was Moses!

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 02-15-2004).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My prediction for the movie,
The Passion of The Christ'
...if it is what people are saying:

The fervor of this motion picture will last....for years !!

How many...?

Many !!

It may well be the single most important event in motion pictures, starting, amongst other things, a revolution in portraying Holy Scripture. There is NO more complex, stereoscopic, telescoping and microscopic story...than Scripture.

We...(meaning at least my contemporary generation)...have been brought up on fairy- tale style readings and productions of Scripture, in plays and movies that all seem holier-than-thou and milk-toast and sometimes silly, that never explores the 'real depths'. This movie will change all that....

Why?

People that never would, will begin reading Scripture, and find out an alarming fact:

Scripture is without exhaustion.

The story is without exhaustion.

The depth of exploration of its power is unlimited.

A person comes back to some chapter or verse and says, I never saw that before...tho they have read it over and over again thru the years. Suddenly, "the Holy Spirit" opens it up...and you see what's ALWAYS been there...and it's a thousand times bigger and more real.

No artist, no writer, no poet will ever do it justice...all will try. The walls of THAT art that explores beyond 'human' comprehension line only the walls in eternity. But here...we see in a glass darkly, as Scripture says. But thank God we see something.

With 'The Passion', Mel Gibson is throwing much needed light onto the darkened walls of the cinema....and into people's hearts and minds....

Let the conversation and the controversy begin!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said! Very well said. I never thought a Christian film (showing it in a good light, that is) would be made today on such a scale as this one is. My concerns were only about those people in certain areas of NYC and LA who may have wanted to see this film. The strategy failed with Big Fish by making a limited release but this is quite a different movie. Mel Gibson gave Michael Savage, a radio personality for those who don't know, a private screening. The gist of what Gibson told him before playing the movie was that he would normally tell his audience to enjoy the film but he didn't make this film something to be enjoyed.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarificatrion, Nard and good points both Nard and Ought Not, you're both right.

My point is that I don't think that God is expressing any anger towards this film.

I do Love eerie coincidences like this, though.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wondering if Ray is going to watch the interview of Diane Sawyer with Mel Gibson, tonight on ABC's 'PrimeTime'.

posted Hide Post
"...throwing much needed light onto the darkened walls of the cinema..."

Nice play on words, Nard!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I watched it. Did you?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

Wait a minute here.... Are you saying you saw the movie?

posted Hide Post
I think she's saying she saw the interview. If so, what did you think of it?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
Oh! Oh! Got me on that one. You're right. Thanks.

As to the interview, the original interview was done over a period of 5 hours. That means an awful lot of things were left out to the discretion of ABC for the telecast.

The interview was okay. In fact, 'Good Morning America' ran a segment that was NOT in the previous night, 'Primtetime' interview. I really enjoyed that moment about Mel Gibson starting his own church, which accepts Protestant and Catholic worshipers....

Aside note::
Hundreds of churches (should I dare say thousands?) have bulletins going out, outlining a '3 Step Passion Outreach Plan'. This includes seminars, books, etc. all pertaining to THIS movie.

Again, Ray was a very instrumental in bringing me to a place where I accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour. It was a long, arduous path. And to this day, I am amazed at artist, writers, painters, who express Christ in their works, but don't recognize Him.

Like Mel Gibson, who went down the road of despair, is that what it takes for many? Ray Bradbury's writings, and getting to know him, brought me to that edge, or shall I say, the end.... It was then a small, but mighty leap ...where I found Christ and the bridge across that despair.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-18-2004).]