Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conference
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conference
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Yes, it takes at least two weeks to even begin to see LA and its surroundings properly! Do try again some other time.

It also takes better than average weather conditions to even begin to see LA!
I know of someone who moved into the valley (may have been the San Fernando valley)and six months later, on a clear day, was surprised to see that there were mountains not too far away!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
It also takes better than average weather conditions to even begin to see LA!

Fortunately, we are blessed with near-ideal weather year round!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weather was unbelievable. Around 104F (39C) in Riverside, and 110F (43C) in Palm Springs (hottest May day for 30 years, according to the TV).

Back in the UK, it's about 68F at best.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding,

I finally got round to looking at your photos. V good!

Incidentally, the photo that shows the board members standing behind Ray includes an interloper: on the left of screen is Brad Lyau, one of the conference speakers. (Mr Dark and I told him we expect him to visit this message board. If you're lurking, Brad, please make yourself known!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatR:
I will try to get my photos posted tonight.
-Patricia

Patricia, any luck with those photos?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Fortunately, we are blessed with near-ideal weather year round!

Well, except for that one day in Riverside.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Back in the UK, it's about 68F at best.

Sounds marvellous! That's about what it usually is here on the coast - you just came over during a heatwave!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Incidentally, the photo that shows the board members standing behind Ray includes an interloper...

I too noticed the interloper, and thought about calling him out as such, but decided against it. I rather enjoy the word "interloper".

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
My photos are now online: www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Over-excited is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hi All,
I am sorry to have taken so long to get these photos together. What a wonderful conference - I can't believe it was only a week ago. My photos will look very familiar to the ones you have already seen but not as good. Phil would you please email me a high res copy of the one one you took of Ray and I. (qtera31@yahoo.com) Yours is wonderful and the best one taken. Brad Lyau lives here in Albuquerque and I hope to see him. I will remind him to drop by the board.
It was wonderful to meet all of you. Who is going to Comic Con? I will be there and near Ray of course.
All the best,
Patricia

Here are my photos -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22901299@N00/sets/72157605250867355/

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatR:

One of your photos has me thinking... Maybe the memeograph machine that Mr. B used to print Futuria Fantasia is still at Los Angeles High School. Hmmm...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patricia, hooray, great photos. I particularly like the very fast moving people behind Betty Hull and Fred Pohl!

I will indeed send you the pic of you and Ray.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Pat: Great photos! My regret at the conference is in not getting some better "posed" shots. When we had Ray Bradbury, Larry Niven, and Frederick Pohl in one room together, why did I not ask them to pose together??? How often do you have that chance? Why didn't I ask Larry Niven, David Brin, and Frederick Pohl if they'd mind posing with me? They would have, if I had asked. Ah, the doom of missed opportunities. What a great time it was to participate in the conference, to meet some great writers, and to meet the other RB Board members. Fantastic.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Dark, the answer has to be: because they are the stars and we are the mere fans. We were starstruck!

I agree about the conference. It was the best I've ever been to.

I greatly appreciate the way we all have similar (but not identical) sets of photos. Every set has something I missed.

One thing I missed (and I haven't seen it in anyone else's photo sets yet) was the set of display boards at the back of the hall. I didn't know they were there until the hall had emptied out - by which time I was distracted by other things, and forgot to go back and look.

(I also missed seeing the Eaton Collection, but that was through choice - paranoia that I might not get back in time for my own presentation!)

- Phil