Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    questions - SOMETHING WICKED

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions - SOMETHING WICKED
 Login/Join

posted
Questions on two expressions in SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES:

1) �gCabbage Night�h in chapter two; is it simply the author�fs creation and no such festival that really exists?

2) Jim�fs words �gMy aunt�fs eyebrows, Will�c�h in chapter nineteen; how come �gone�fs aunt�fs eyebrows�h is the subject we got to check? A kind of idiomatic expression?

Appreciate your opinion/thoughts.
Cheers,

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi! go to this website: http://www.boston-online.com/glossary/cabbage_night.html for your answer about Cabbage Night. It's like a Mischief Night, the night before Halloween

Posts: 1 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ...was amazed to discover (I'm certain 'dandelion' and others know about this one)...that Rod Serling's teacher in school was named Helen Foley. And here we find a Miss Foley in "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I don't recall a first name for Miss Foley in "Something Wicked..." But I found the idea of Ray using the Foley name rather peculiar.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I have bumped up the thread in the "Ray's Legacy" forum for you.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion: I answered in Legacy. Thanks!

Time to call about the slow dragging Resources again! You think they'd add a lot more memory with this and be done with it. Could be another problem entirely?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Superfan:

Many thanks, and happy Halloween to you!

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi there. I'm new here.
I've got the same trouble reading "Something wicked".When you say "My aunt's eyebrows,Aquarius121,we got to check",what do you mean?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, my guess is it's simply too many posts in one forum. I'd suggest dividing them up, naming the older one "References" and leaving the first 7000 or whatever in it, and the current one "Resources" and just start with whatever is #7001 at the time the change is made, and go on from there. I would HATE to see a switch to another format or provider! We've lost too many posts as it is--the LAST thing we need is something which might wipe them out en masse!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post