Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    fahrenheit 451:TV class, transcription history

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fahrenheit 451:TV class, transcription history
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everybody
One of many favorite books is Ray Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451.
I'm going to university and because I like this book so much I decided to do a work about a passage of it. Unfortunately, I have some things I don't really understand. It would be so nice if somebody could HELP me!!!
The passage is the following: Montag meets Clarisse for the third time and they are talking about Clarisse beeing (anti-)social, about school...In my edition, it is page 40.
Clarisse says that she has TV class (with a film-teacher) and transcription history at school.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TV CLASS, FILM-TEACHER AND TRANSCRIPTION HISTORY ARE?
Thanks for your answer.
Butterfly

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think "TV Class" and "Film-Teacher" are referring to the switch being made in the society of the book. First, they burned all the real literature, and are now in process of getting rid of printed material of any kind, even strictly instructional. As for "Film-Teacher": even nowadays, kids in remote areas are schooled through video hookups, some even interactive, or schools use filmed material as instruction. Bradbury was taking it one step further--that a hologram or even a machine could replace a flesh-and-blood teacher.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, thanks a lot for your answer.I think you are right.
Do you know if the picture "to pour water down the spout and out the bottom" that Clarisse uses in the same scene, is common in the English language or has Bradbury created it? Does it mean that you use a lot of words to say something that in fact does not mean anything?
Two paragraphs below, Clarisse says that "[she]sometimes I even go to the Fun Parks and ride in the jet cars when they race on the edge of town at midnight...". To 'race on the edge of town' does it mean to race a bit outside the town?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess the edge of town to be just inside or just outside of city limits.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

Never knew what you might mean by the above post. Sorry it took so long to question it. Just one of those things....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Nard, yer email's bouncin' again, dude!

Even in a big place like where you live, there gotta be city limits, right? Yer either in the city, or in some suburb or other surrounding area. Around here it makes a difference like whether and where ya can get a library card and what it'll cost ya.