Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Hunting for a Brandbury Short Story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting for a Brandbury Short Story
 Login/Join

posted
Years ago I read a short story that, as I recall, was by Bradbury. Some earth men are searching through an abandoned Martian city, and one of them finds a room that is actually a very long stone corridor with an insectile-looking machine at the front end. The man gets on the machine, pushes a button, and it races at break-neck speed until it crashes into a stone wall at the end, and the man is killed. But he instantly wakes up and is back where he started, with the machine in tact. He ends up getting addicted to the experience and he is left there, endlessly crashing to his death.

Is that story familiar to anyone? Source?

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 August 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike from Mars, while I may be wrong, your summary above doesn't sound like any Ray Bradbury story I have ever read. Perhaps someone else may have some ideas.

Posts: 2475 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're probably right, Richard. But I remember it being a great short story, and I'd like to find it again!

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 August 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Booksleuth Forum here.

https://forums.abebooks.com/di...g/abesleuthcom?dbg=6

When you log in, you will be taken back to the regular Forums, so be sure to post on the Booksleuth Forum.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post