Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tone
 Login/Join

posted
How has Ray created the tone of the novel? Usually authors mention the weather and it sets a tone for the subject that the author refers to. Why does Ray not mention the weather much and how has he created his tone?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never really thought of the fact that weather is never mentioned in F451 until you brought up this point, and I do believe Ray Bradbury did it to set a rather dreary tone. The entire time I read this novel, without the mention of weather, I had imagined a very dark menacing sky with huge gray storm clouds hovering over the land. I think the way people are withdrawn from society and lacking essence, like Mildred absorbed by the pictures on the walls, sets this tone Ray was trying to achieve.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he sets a dreary tone by showing how controlled and fearful everybody was, a sense of doom. I think many of the "heaviest" moments in the book occured at night.

The brightest moment in the book for me came in a rain storm, what a contradiction. Remember Clarisse and Montag in the rain?

Montag: Do you have to try everything once?
Clarisse: Yes, and sometimes twice.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tone set in Fahrenheit 451 is expressed very well, yet without the words of a setting or feelings because Ray expresses it through the actions of the characters. If you pay close attention to how each character had their own world and thoughts you deliberately see how their days are filled up with only the thought of �thrills.� Mildred used TV Parlors and friends as a way of thrilling herself and enjoying life although not knowing or truly loving her own husband. I believe that love died out in the futuristic world of Montag and Mildred simply because it wasn�t important. Ray exposed that to the readers by how Montag treated Mildred and even how he saw interests in Clarisse. He also showed us the wants and needs of Faber. Faber loved novels, poems, and information from books as much as life, maybe even more, as a part of his life. Tone relates to feelings of the writer and moods of the characters. I see Fahrenheit 451 as a book with a great tone of despair and hope from the simple actions of the characters.

*Sara*

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL, USa | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post