Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Birthday Bash
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birthday Bash
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nard,

How sad! Hadn't Mr. Smith posted on this site not too long ago? And isn't he the actor who portrays the "Ray" character in some of Bradbury's plays? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Regardless, the news in your post is quite shocking. I'll keep Mr. Smith and his family in my prayers.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I am truly sorry for his series of recent losses and wish him still as happy a birthday as possible, it doesn't look as if I'll get this thread printed out in time to reach Ray by the day. So if anyone here lives near enough to him to print and deliver it personally, it would be appreciated!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my offering to Ray on his 84th birthday. I mailed a copy off today. I would love to drive up to Los Angeles and deliver it in person along with any others that you may gather, if you can arrange that.

A Birthday Poem for Ray,
On His 84th Birthday

�Tis that time again, the hourglass again needs upturning,
Another year has gone, there has been much a-churning,
�Twas a year of sadness and some delight,
Loved ones lost and new challenges in sight.

Marguerite, dear wife, life partner and friend,
Left us early, God�s ear to bend,
That Ray is still needed here, to tell us his tales,
As always, She supports his art by giving wind to his sails.

A brother, a producer and friend, others too, have gone as well,
While on new projects Ray began to dwell,
New book, The Cat�s Pajamas, was well received,
A Sound of Thunder, should be film he believed.

There were plays on the stage from stories well known,
Laugher at Constance as older she had grown,
The mummies of Guanajuato still haunted in death,
Their memory purged, as to stories they gave breath.

The righteous fight over Fahrenheit 451 Ray�s fans supported with ease,
While the scoundrel ran away with cash from the title he had ceased,
Ray will get the last laugh when the film of his master tale,
Is again on the screen and new fans put the imposter beyond the pale.

New books of the master�s hand are eagerly awaited,
With canine stories and others we fans are baited,
The tale of Illinois childhood in Greentown, so often read,
Will live again as Forever Summer is brought back from the dead.

So Ray, as we share in your joys and feel your pain in your loss,
Let us tell you how much you mean to us and toss
Our hats in the air, as we send on this wish to you on this day,
That you be at peace, still working, God�s attention still distracted away.

Happy Birthday Ray

Written by Philip Trask
August 22, 2004

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Happy Birthday to Ray! Another year, and more treasures for me to read. I am enjoying Cat's Pajamas, and look forward to Ray's next offerings!

Posts: 16 | Location: Menlo Park, CA USA | Registered: 18 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, RB.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I offer belated congratulations to Mr. Bradbury on the successful completion of eighty-four solar orbits!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And may he have many, many more years on this earth, writing tales to entertain the populace!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's wish the best for Ray and those who can, keep him in prayers. Ray spent his 84th birthday in the hospital. He is now doing well, and should be home.

_____

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tried calling Ray (12:30 PM Florida time) and there was no answer. Usually someone answers if Ray doesn't and he usually does answer. The message machine came on. So, hopefully he is gettting a check-up at the doctor. I will call him this evening to see if he is home and how he is doing.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 08-25-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you Happy Birthday, Ray Bradbury!!! and keep on enlightening our dreams!!

Posts: 1 | Location: athens,greece | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post