Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Open Note to Alexandra Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open Note to Alexandra Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Alexandra, it is has been 39 years this month that I, traveling by train from El Paso (Ft. Bliss) Texas to Moneteray, California (Ft.Ord) had a seven hour lay-over in L.A. Having got to know Richard Bach (he lived just down the road) I noticed a framed poem by your father on the wall of his den. It related to aviation as Richard was the editor at that time of the Antique Airplane Association's monthly magazine.

Having been in a writing group with your father he must asked your father to write something poetic regarding flying and your father did just that.

I asked Richard if he thought it would be alright to write to Ray Bradbury as I had been reading his books and stories for some time. He gave me his address and I wrote him a letter. Soon afterward came a letter from your father (still in the attic of my parent's home in Ottumwa, Iowa) on really neat stationary.

So having a seven hour lay-over gave me an idea to go see Ray Bradbury. Going outside of Union Station I approached a long line of taxis and amazingly, when I told the driver of the first one in line that I wanted to go to Ray Bradbury's house in the Cheviot Hills, he replied that he knew exactly where he lived as he had taken your father home on many occasions.

He waited while I walked up the stairs to the front door only to find from the young lady who answered the door that your father and mother and one of her sisters were at an art store.

Rather dejected I returned to the taxi and told this to the driver and his response was that he knew exatctly where the art store was. So, I in my military uniform, walk into the art store to meet Ray Bradbury, his wife Marguerite and one of his daughters. I got to ride home with them and I sat in the formal living room and your father signed and gave me three paper back books of his.

My question is: 39 years ago, March of 1967, who would the two daughters that I met then have been? I am thinking that you may have been one of them, whether answering the door or at the art store. Can you help me on this? Would you remember something like this so many years ago? I thank you in advance for helping me on this.

clmi9901@msn.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am bringing this to the top of the list in hopes that Alexandra might see it. It was getting buried in the pile.

And again, Alexandra, if you are able to enlighten me a bit in regard to my question I will be greatly appreciative.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alexandra has also been notified of the message's existence.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alexandra, this is just one more attempt with the hope that you might view the Web Site periodically, for you to see my post and questions.

It was sinking lower and lower on the list so I am moving it to the top again.

posted Hide Post
I received confirmation that she got the notification about the message, but no word on a possible response.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dandelion. When you think of it, it is a lot to ask of a person to think back 39 years to a specific event, and especially one as mundane as my having stopped by. We must wait and see!

posted Hide Post
biplane, have you already asked Ray about it?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't asked Ray. I am sure that he might know, but he wasn't sure what automibile they had at the time, although I remember it as a Volvo station wagon. And then today, after trying to find out for Dr. Patrick Mullins as to the origin of the Dust Witch, Ray replied "I don't know! Why are you asking me?" He did relate that, undoubtedly, it came through his fondness and memories of carnivals and side shows.

The thought of asking Alexandra, actually, is an exercize of memory, that is seeing if, indeed, she might have been the young lady at the door or at the book store.

The answer might simply be that she doesn't remember any guy in an army uniform showing up at their house 39 years ago in the month of March of 1967.

posted Hide Post
Oh o.k., thanks for clarifying that biplane.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, biplane...

Thanks for the post (and thank you, dandelion, for emailing me). I'm sorry to say that I just don't remember. Chances are Dad would remember, since his memory, happy to say, is so much better than mine.

Alexandra

Posts: 12 | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alexandra, thank you so much for taking a moment to respond to my question. What was I thinking? I, then, a young 24 year-old, would have a greater opportunity to capture the moment, so to speak, than a couple of teen- aged young ladies busy with their own lives.

And, of course, how could I forget the opportunity that I had to meet your father. And his kindness over the years has been tremendous.

I have to thank Richard Bach for giving me the opportunity to first make contact with Ray, but
it has been your father's responding to my notes and letters over the years and occasional phone call that has made my day for the past 39 years.