Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury at gauntletpress.com
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury at gauntletpress.com
 Login/Join

posted
Find some incredible, autographed Ray Bradbury special editions at
gauntletpress.com. It's where I got my autographed copy of "Dark
Carnival". The cover is a painting by Mr. Bradbury, stories that have
not been seen in 50+ years, original versions of classic stories, estra
stories, new forward by Mr. Bradbury, a CD interview about the stories
in the book, a ton of archival material . . . It's like a DVD chocked full
of extra features. They also have special editions of "October
Country," "Something Wicked This Way Comes," "The Illustrated Man,"
and several chapbooks. The people who work there are outstanding
people.

Posts: 21 | Location: Edwardsville, Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they were very nice, but I'm still recovering from purchasing "Dark Carnival," and haven't yet heard whether douglasSP has worked his way out of living in the packing crate yet. Maybe to at least a piano crate?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot, guys - now I'LL be living in a crate for a while! The Gauntlet edition of Dark Carnival looks fantastic, so I just HAD to sacrifice a few small things (food, next month's rent ...) and order a copy. Can't wait 'till it arrives. It's amazing that it still hasn't sold out (but there can't be many copies left).
It will have a place on my shelf next to my prized copy of the Mugnaini-illustrated aluminum-bound edition of 'F.451'. If anyone's interested, I found this through Barnes & Noble's "Rare and Secondhand" site. At the time I bought mine, they had several copies available. They've also got dozens of first editions, and some reasonably-priced signed paperbacks (I also picked up a signed copy of the first 'Dandelion Wine' paperback for about $45).
They also have copies of the original (!!) edition of Dark Carnival - if you're willing to pay a four-figure price, that is.

[This message has been edited by crumley (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My copy of "Dark Carnival" was numbered 699 and I asked the man, have they really sold that many!? He said no, the boxes were mixed up so the numbering was not in sequence, but at the time I talked to him they had only about 50 left, and that was quite awhile ago! Are you sure you don't mean "asbestos-bound copies"? Oooh, look out, Crumley, I know a guy who just got asbestos-related lung cancer! Of course the fact that he worked as a school janitor for 30 or 40 years could have something to do with it!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope - definitely aluminim (but thanks for your concern!).

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now have my copy - but I don't think it's numbered. Where does one find the number?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's supposed to be the first page right after the endsheet, with the signatures. Big ripoff not having Donn sign it, by the way. He worked a lot more on it than Clive Barker did!

posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is happy. Dark Carnival is a treasure in the true meaning of the word. Incidentaly, anyone who finds anything about rare Bradbury stuff, please let me know. He's the only author I'm reading right now. He's all I care to read since I got turned on to him last summer.

Posts: 21 | Location: Edwardsville, Illinois | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should start by saying I collect Ray Bradbury first editions, and signed editions. With that in mind....

I just got my copy of the Gauntlet Press edition of Dark Carnival (brand new, off eBay - it was a tad cheaper), and it is FANTASTIC. I can't encourage people enough to snatch up a copy of this wonderful publication, before they are all gone. It is well-worth the price (I think).

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I...just...ordered...my...copy!!! Whew!
Your comments made me do it. The descriptions at Gauntlet are also very convincing. Thanks.

I'll let you know how I prevail when the copy arrives.fp.

Also: Site for many RB titles- abebooks.com

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a url for a site that has a signed (by Bradbury) limited edition portrait. It's kind of related to his short story 'Homecoming' too. Just thought I'd mention it. http://www2.wcoil.com/~awlb/limited.htm

[This message has been edited by Moundshroud (edited 03-02-2002).]

Posts: 6 | Location: Delphos, Ohio | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't even get started at eBay, you'll never finish! And, Douglas--ALL of the copies were signed and numbered. There were only two kinds, regular for $150, and deluxe in leather for $1000. If it's a publication error, of course the publisher would make an exchange if you wanted to send it the whole long way back, but better take a close look at the ole binding and make sure someone didn't razor a page out of yours!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 03-05-2002).]

posted Hide Post
No, I still can't find a number in my copy, although it is proclaimed a "limited edition." Are there perhaps different versions, some with more trimmings than others? I don't seem to have the signatures dandelion refers to, either.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would anyone supply an address or phone number for Gauntlet Publishing? I, too, would be inetersted in obtaining a copy of Dark Carnival.

I am fortunate in that I have quite a few books signed by Ray, including the very first one he signed for me while I was visiting with him at his home in March of 1967. He gave me three signed paperbacks, and later, like a fool, I lent two of them out and never got them back.

As soon as I finish a book (slowly reading From The Dust Returned) I send it to Ray and he has been so kind as to autograph it for me.

Recently I sent him an 8" x 10" photo of a field of dandelions. With the framed photo I sent the Book of the Month club four volume set (actually just two of them at the time) and he kindly thanked me for the photo as part of his inscription to me to include a drawing of a dried out dandelion ready to spread its seeds.

So, I would greatly appreciate knowing how to obtain a copy of Dark carnival that has been described. Thank you in advance.

[This message has been edited by flyboy (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going to www.gauntletpress.com should reveal all you need to know.