Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Other 'chronicles'

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other 'chronicles'
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a definitive list of Ray's Martian stories NOT found in MARTIAN CHRONICLES? Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

'The Blue Bottle' (a long-time favourite!)
'The Other Foot' (brilliant comment on racism)
'Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed' (utterly haunting)
The Lost City of Mars (nicely surreal, almost dream-like)

That's only a handful - I know there are at least twice that number. Can anyone complete my list? Are all of the Martian stories available in the various collections (or were some uncollected?)?

P.S. A related question: Was there a different RB story titled 'Rocket Summer' (ie. NOT the prologue/opening chapter of M.CHRONICLES)?

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The One Who Waits- Arkham Sampler, summer 1949
The Lonely Ones- Startling Stories, July 1949
The Exiles- The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Winter/Spring 1950
The Strawberry Window- Star Science Fiction Stories #3, Ballantine, 1954
The Blue Bottle- Planet Stories Fll 1950
The Messiah- Welcome Aboard, spring 1971
The Visitor- Startling Stories, November 1948
The Love Affair- The Love Affair, Lord John Press 1982 (written c.1948)
The Lost City of Mars- Playboy, January 1967
Holiday- Playboy, December 1963
The Other Foot- New Story, March 1951
Night Call, Collect- Super Science Stories, April 1949.
Dark They Were, and Golden Eyed- Thrilling Wonder Stories, August 1949

I believe.

I was thinking about this a couple days ago whilst reading The Illustrated Man. Came to The Other Foot, and noticing that it was an obvious sequel to Way in the Middle of the Air, I thought to myself, self, I would like to see an entire Martian volume including every Martian story (The Compleat Martian Chronicles) But then he would probably write more later, rendering the volume obsolete.

I just reminded myself of one of my favourite TZ episodes, The Obsolete Man.

Memorable quotes:

Chancellor: You are obsolete.
Wordsworth: No man is obsolete!

Wordsworth: You cannot erase God with an edict!

Chancellor: In the name of God let me out!
Wordsworth: Yes, Chancellor, in the name of God I will let you out.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We talked about a "Martian Chronicles II," and I started a settings thread here https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/37910839...151063372#9151063372 but got only just so far with it.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, that's a great one! Burgess Meredith and Fritz Weaver, as I recall...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though an especially stark Serling episode...quite Orwellian, Bradburian in its tone (1984~451).

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,
Thanks for your efforts. I know nearly all of those titles - only 1 or 2 I'm not familiar with (I don't recall 'Holiday', for instance).
Any takers for the 'R.Summer' question?

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post