Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conversation With Ray--11/28/2004
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversation With Ray--11/28/2004
 Login/Join

posted
I spoke with Ray Sunday morning and mentioned to him that I was so happy to have acquired the compelete set of The Ray Bradbury Theater and he said that he was very happy for me. But he asked me where I bought the set and I said Best Buy. He said that Best Buy in the L.A. didn't have any and he couldn't figure out why not. He mentioned that he wanted to order several sets for himself to give as gifts.

He sounded great and reminded me that he has three books coming out next year. I told him that I got real excited when I saw the intro to The Screamning Woman as it showed him on a hill side with a pair of binoculars. A fellow comes up behind him with a devining rod and Ray takes hold and it leads off into the story.

He said that he did about six of the special intoductions and enjoyed doing them.
I think that he would have been great acting in some of his stories. Or at least making a cameo appearance ala Hitchcock.

He also mentioned that he was real happy with the interview that played on the Fox Network. I am still trying to see and hear it myself.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine...Your looking for the DVD set at BEST BUY and as you reach for the last one on the shelf, you hear a vaguely familiar voice behind you saying, "AHGT! I saw it first!"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the introduction to "A Sound of Thunder," where the camera pans over a number of model dinosaurs and lingers on a dinosaur skeleton. That was a windup toy which I sent Ray, souvenir of a trip through the Seattle underground. The camera holds on it for, I believe, 8 seconds--a long time on TV!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read a few less than complimentary comments on-line concerning the quality of the episodes as they play from the 5 disc set DVD's. Any feedback Bi2 or D? I have one on the way and am now wondering if my old vcr copies may still be the best for viewing.

How much additional intro/background footage is offered beyond the episodes - if any? Thanks.

Other posts, nice to hear Mr. B is doing well. Sent a signed card from students in congratulations of his recent Medal of Arts Award. "Rumble!"

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank and Grasstains:

First, Grasstains, I was looking on one side of this display of older TV shows that were now on DVD when the clerk said "just a minute" and walked to other side and said "here we go" and walked back with the boxed set. I honestly didn't think of looking to see how many may have been left.

Frank, most of the episodes that I have see have been very good, although some of the acting seems juvenile in retrospect. Most of the introductions are the one where Ray goes up in an elevator (which we now know was in one building) and then walks into his office turning on lights and stating "People ask me'where do you get your ideas'" But, unfortunately, there are no additional comments or sections, no out-takes (which might have been interesting) or anything else. I don't think you will be disappointed, though.

Dandelion, what a neat thing to have your Dinasour in a segment. I wonder what he did with the photo of a lawn full of dandelions I sent him some time ago?

When I was in California and was going to see Ray on Saturday afternoon, I had two letters from fans that I was going to personally deliver, but when there was a conflict with daughter-in-law nursing my granddaughter and wasn't able to stop by I later mailed the letters along with a stamped, addressed return envelope for each thinking that it would be convenient for Ray to write a note and slip it into the envelope. But, so far, I have not heard from either person that he did respond. But I can imagine the pile of mail that he still receives each day.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 11-29-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that the building in which Ray rode the elevator is The Bradbury Building in Los Angeles. A cultural landmark hereabouts.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to express my ignorance, but is the Bradbury Building in any way related to, or named after, or have some other connection to Ray? For some reason I have heard of the Bradbury Building, but never heard what the connection is, if there is any, to Ray. Thank you, anyone, who can enlighten me in this regard.

posted Hide Post
I don't know much about the Bradbury building itself, but I do know it has been used in film and TV a few times, and always looks quite stunning. The RBT introduction, Blade Runner, and an episode of The Outer Limits (Harlan Ellison's Demon with a Glass Hand).

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bradbury Building in Los Angeles is named for millionaire real estate developer Lewis Bradbury...no relation to Ray.

Posts: 2444 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bradbury Building, built in the late 1800's, was suposed to be designed with the direct intention to look like a building 100 years into the future. (Lot's of people remember it from especially the final scenes in the movie Blade Runner.)

It used to be you could walk into the building and just take a quick tour. It's filled with regular offices. But now, you have to pay admission, unless you have pertinent business in the place.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forest Ackerman's grandfather, helped build the Bradbury Building.

Later Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All right, all right Patrick, I believe you.
But you never answered my question as to whether Ray got to do some additonal fun things while in Washington D.C. Hopefully he was able to.

posted Hide Post
Hello biplane,

We went to a couple of great restaurants, The Caucus Room, the International Hotel
and went on a DC tour, took a bunch of great pictures, as soon as I can figure out, how to put them on this web site, I'll put some in..

Later
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, not so much for myself, but I am sure that all who read these posts find it interesting to know that you all got to do some extra "fun" stuff.

I think that so many of us admire you so much for being there to assist Ray and help him get about. Your being there allows the rest of us to breathe easier in regard to Ray's health situation.

But I am sure that Ray's great attitude about life in general makes it a pleasure for you to be there with him.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 12-02-2004).]

posted Hide Post
On the letter head of several communications I have received from Mr. Bradbury over the years is what appears to be an architect's sketching of a row of buildings in a business district. What is interesting about the illustration is it gives not only the fascade designs but also serves as a cut-away of what the layouts of the separate storefronts (for lack of a better term)look like inside.

There are staircases, an amusement area (as I recall a merry-go-round horse is shown), and to the upper left is an old fashion elevator much like in the opening of RBT.
Can anyone identify this locale in LA, or is this the Bradbury Building mentioned in above posts??

(As a youth, I worked for my folks in a downtown area that was really the center of all of our hometown's activities (pre-shopping center and mall days-remember?).
I ran errands all over the "public square" and often had the great joy of taking elevators manned by someone who actually made a living transporting patrons up and down all day.)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-02-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post