Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Last Lines to The Martian Chronicles: in search for another interpretation

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Lines to The Martian Chronicles: in search for another interpretation
 Login/Join

posted
"The Martians were there--in the canal--reflected in the water. Timothy and Michael and Robert and Mom and Dad.

The Martians stared back up at them for a long, long silent time from the rippling water...."

These are the last lines in RB's The Martian Chronicles. Does Bradbury mean that the family is a Martian one because they are the new inhabitants to Mars? Is that why they see the Martians reflected in themselves from the water?

Posts: 2 | Location: FL | Registered: 12 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ambellina,

exactly so. The story (the whole book) is really about people being transformed by their experience of Mars. By the end of the book, the original Martians are (probably) all dead, and the civilisation on Earth is (probably) destroyed. The Earth family on Mars become the inheritors of the planet, so THEY are the Martians now.

Other stories where people become Martians in other ways (or try to do so, or want to do so) include "And The Moon Be Still As Bright" and "Dark They Were And Golden Eyed".

I'm sure there are other possible interpretations of the last lines of Martian Chronicles, but I can't imagine any interpretation being as elegant and fruitful as this one.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that was very helpful.

Posts: 2 | Location: FL | Registered: 12 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post