Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicles 1st Ed?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles 1st Ed?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello

Could anyone please tell me how to identify a First Edition of The Martian Chronicles? The one I have looked at says published by Doubleday & Co. 1950 on the title page ...could it be first edition?

Thanks in advance
Di

Posts: 3 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 22 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A first edition of 'The Martian Chronicles' has several defining points:

1) It is bound in greenish-yellow cloth with red lettering on the spine. Later impressions of the first edition are bound in blue.

2) It states "FIRST EDITION" below the copyright information. Later impressions lack that statement.

3) It is published by Doubleday.

4) The dustjacket art is by Arthur Lidov and the author photo (of a very young RB) is by Morris Dolens.

Hope this helps.

Cooger&Dark

Posts: 26 | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the book has the original dust jacket, the price should be $2.50 and have T.M.C. above the price. The title page should state 1950 and on the reverse of the title page it should state First Edition. The book's hard cover is a light green with a biege spine, and mine has almost maroon lettering, very dark red.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 06-22-2004).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it will be green, sometimes yellow, sometimes even a mix due to uneven fading...probably patrask's spine is yellow because it faded (mine faded a bit unevenly despite a dustjacket). Yes, the lettering is more maroon than red.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
djzz

Go to:
http://www.abebooks.com/

Type in:
Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles
and below that, First Edition.

You'll get distinct descriptions, and values in various conditions... from hundreds of booksellers everywhere

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You to all for such fast and helpful replies.
It doesn't look like it is a first edition...It is bound in light blue cloth with dark red lettering, does not state 'First Edition' on copyright page (-but doesn't give any other edition info either) - just the 1950 on the title page, the cover art is by Lidov, it has the young author photo by Morris Dolens on the back of the DJ, and also has price $2.50 and T.M.C on the front jacket flap.
I had a look at the abebooks site, but couldn't see this particular copy there.

..Maybe it is a later pressing, as mentioned?

All the Best
Di

Posts: 3 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 22 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

Man, you guys are good! Now that's what this board is all about. Way to go!

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
djzz:

I did find a dealer who had a copy with....light blue cover with maroon spine lettering... on that abebooks website.

In that little box asking further keywords, type whatever pertinent info you have. I typed in blue cloth and maroon lettering and got one book noted.

That book had no dust jacket and was a little beat-up. he wanted $20.00, but also stated there was no date of printing to be found. Hmm ?!! He claims it's old. Was a Canadian bookseller.

As you can see, fine first editions of ''The Martian Chronicles'' go for thousands of dollars$$.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
djzz, unfortunately, the book you have is in fact a later (but still early) printing. Sorry!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind...It'll do me anyway, as I don't have a spare few thousand to spend on a real 1st!!
Thanks again
Di