Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    F451Climax

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F451Climax
 Login/Join

posted
Things have been heated with the local discussion, and so I ask for ideas. One of the kids cited Spark Notes? (how appropriate) that the climax is when Montag turns the flamethrower on the Captain. I see Montag's journey to discover himself as an important plot element, and think that in such light that the climax is when Montag discovers which book he is to be. What say you all? Where is the climax for F451?

Posts: 14 | Location: Hermiston OR, USA | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flamethrower is an obvious climactic scene. At this point, there is simply no turning back.

Like life, there are many climactic moments -- times that turn his life around. The series of meetings with Clarisse change his perception. Those meetings force him to recognize that neither he nor Mildred are happy -- nor will they be in the lifestyle they then inhabited.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the flame thrower is "the" climax, then when Montag recognizes which book he is about to become, would that be the "peak" of the resolution phase? Agreed, there is no turning back, at least to the life that he had. But, he could have just given himself over to the hound, and then . . . Another question that comes up in discussion is the character of Beatty. Was he baiting Montag, challenging Montag because Beatty was really tire of his own life, and seeking an end to his onw hypocrisy? And, while at it, what sort of critical essays about RB would you recommend?

Posts: 14 | Location: Hermiston OR, USA | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beatty wanted to die. He was too intelligent for what he was doing. But his idea was to go out with a bang. To destroy as much as could be destroyed, for the world to him was already lost. When everything's gone, might as well have a bit of fun doing the destruction, eh? Sort of like the character Spanderell in Point Counterpoint.

Cheers, Translator

[This message has been edited by Translator (edited 06-20-2004).]

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IS THIS
ONE FORM OF CENSORSHIP:::?

'Moreover may of those who had become believers came and openly confessed that they had been using magical spells. A good many of those who formerly practised magic collected their books and burnt them publicly, and when the total value was reckoned up it came to fifty thousand pieces of silver.

ACTS 19, vs 18

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, no wonder no one can turn a wooden rod into a serpent anymore.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concerning that the climax occured when Montag killed the Capain; I would agree with your student. This part of the novel proved that to Montag there was no going back after this. Other points in the novel may not be the climax point, but could be the self-realization point, etc. For example, the part in the novel where Clarisse asks Montag if he is happy can be interperted as a epiphany because he comes out of his mindless droning in society and finally realizes that he is really not happy at all in his life. Now could this be the climatic point? Maybe. This could be the turning point where Montag may be turning to the other side and is the catalyst to his role as a "book person".
There are many other examples in the novel where each could be backed by many reasons why each is the climatic scene or why as it is not.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that either of you are right. I think that the climax to F451 is right after he burns Beatty and is when he is running away. It is this part because he is trying to get away from the mechanical dog that is supposed to be able to catch any one it is programmed to. It was even more suspenseful because Mantog got away with his leg being hit by the shot of poisen from the dog. Also you see how he has to use all of his smarts to out smart the dog.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also think that your student is correct. I agree that the climatic point is when Montag grabs the Flamethrower. Because if he does this his life is virtually over, Jail or Death are the only choices he has. But there is that small sliver of hope to get away. And Montag had the 'smarts' to do it. If this was any other man there would be no chance at all they would outsmart the hound. But with the expertise of coming from the years of being a firefighter helped in a huge way. And I dont agree with Molk, no one is ever really wrong it is just Personal Opinion. As long as you enjoyed the story and learned a lesson from it, it doent really matter exacty where the climatic point is.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post