Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    any teachers here know Dandelion Wine?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any teachers here know Dandelion Wine?
 Login/Join

posted
Althought Mr. Dark has already helped me very much, I would like some more help please. I must do a fifteen minute presentation on how Dandelion Wine is an autobiography of Ray's own life. Do any of you have any awesome ideas?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have A LOT of awesome ideas!

Oh, wait, my fingers are tired from all the typing I've done. Too bad. Hey, it would have been too much for you to read anyway.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok ok. I was wrong, maybe it's just me. I take it back, I'll admit it. I have read some of the really long posts, PLEASE PLEASE help me. I'll do anything, anything!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wellllllll....okay, I forgive you.

I understand coming to this board for the first time there is quite a bit to catch up on.

I think it's important to understand that Dandelion Wine is not, strictly speaking, Ray's autobiography. It wasn't even a novel. It is a collection of short stories, some rewritten to fit into the novel's format.

Having said that, there is much in Dandelion Wine that is taken directly from Ray's life (and much that probably isn't).

Ray's real life boyhood friend really was John Huff. Ray really was afraid to cross the ravine at night because of the Lonely One. He really did gather and press dandelions with his father. He loved the trolley. And on and on...

My suggestion is to read every interview with Ray that you can find. He talks about these things often. If you are very familiar with Dandelion Wine, then you will recognize what Ray's talking about. You can start with the articles and interviews linked on the main site (http://www.raybradbury.com/articles.html).

If I remember/come across any articles that are particularly good, I'll let you know. Also, as Mr. Dark already pointed out, Ray's own introduction to Dandelion Wine pretty much tells the whole story.

Good luck. There's really nothing left to do now but the work!

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanx sooo much dandelion. I couldn't find any articles with the link that you gave me, but that's ok. In my presentation, I need to take quotes from the book and match them with things that happened in his life. do you know of any other good websites that could help me? thanx for your help.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, *dandelion*, know of any other sites?

Seriously, mon411, you couldn't find ANY articles at http://www.raybradbury.com/articles.html ? Or you mean ones that pertain to your project? There's a long list of links to articles and interviews on other sites there. And, as Mr. Dark would no doubt say, don't limit yourself to what's on the web! Just cause it hasn't been digitized doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 04-01-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Try.....

click on or type into finder...
http://www.hispanicmagazine.com/1999/julaug/Letters/

Old notice, but noteworthy:
http://www.hcfoundation.org/pressrel/981124.htm

And then, after clicking on the next one, scroll down a bit to you come to Aleksandra Korejwo, who has a few nice things to say about Bradbury and Wonderful Ice Cream suit. He created the opening credit sequence.
http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.7/3.7pages/3.7survey.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-01-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry bout that writing reptile. hehe. anywayz, thanx for all ur help guys, i think some of you had some really helpful stuff. well, my presentation's on april 4, that's this friday, so i'll let u all know how i do. thanx.

posted Hide Post
thanx for all ur help guys. i got ninety six percent on my presentation. my teacher said i did really well considering i'm in challenge english. thanx again.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thanks for following up and letting us know how you did.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, what could be next? The next step whould be to challenge his online english, i.e. Mon411's sms speech.. argh, I hate seeing people trying desperately to short up words by using computer words like: "u u'r ur thanx" and so on.. fakk.

Posts: 33 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can type and spell very well, thank you very much. I was just in a bit of a rush so I was typing in "MSN lingo". It's like abbreviations. Pretty much. So if you want me to type like this, then I can. I can type pretty fast anyways. See, no spelling mistakes or any punctuation mistakes. I'm proud of myself. It's fun typing without messing up. WHHHHEEEEEE!!!!