Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury based films
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury based films
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody know and good Bradbury based movies?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FAHRENHEIT 451, starring Julie Christie and Oskar Werner, and directed by Francois Truffaut (and with a beautiful score by Bernard Herrman)is excellent. Almost as good (but not quite, in my opinion) is SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, starring Jason Robards and Jonathan Pryce, and directed by Jack Clayton. Finally, THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT, starring Joe Mantegna and Edward James Olmos, and directed by Stuart Gordon, is outstanding...a funny, wonderful film for adults and kids alike (and, sadly, released directly to video by Disney without a theatrical release).

Posts: 2476 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the 451 movie was fun to watch just because it's really campy. The music's quirky, and the acting's drab. It's very '60s modern. Think along the lines of the original Star Trek tv show (which was actually quite good, since it had STORIES, unlike the newer Star Trek remake shows) I still haven't seen the Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. I've read the play several times. Good stuff. Who did they get to play Vamenos? I like to picture Danny Trejo in the role.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward James Olmos - Vamenos!
Great film for family and friends to watch.
Hilarious, moving, and a fun flick.

SEE RB movies: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/film.htm

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when I saw THE WONDERFUL ICE CREAM SUIT a few years back at a theatrical benefit screening in Chicago, which was attended by Ray and director Stuart Gordon. I knew Edward James Olmos was in the film and I kept looking for him...but couldn't find him. It was only two-thirds of the way through the movie that I realized Olmos was playing Vamenos. He was virtually unrecognizable until he takes his "movie bath"! And this actor, whom I had only previously seen in serious dramas, is absolutely hilarious in the part...he looks like he is having the time of his life playing the role.

Posts: 2476 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a great animated film called Little Nemo and I think Adventures in Slumberland,
Plus the animated version of the Halloween Tree. They are both Fun.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Nemo a long time ago, before I knew who Ray was, I think. Don't remember it much. Where can I find the aforementioned Halloween Tree animated movie!?!!?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a discussion from last year regarding the movie versions of both The Halloween Tree and Little Nemo:
http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000348.html

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon,

the Halloween Tree movie is available on VHS. Take a look at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000060ST/qid=1065258443/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_6/104-7230617-5901561?v=glance&s=video&n=507846

More information (although little that is interesting) is at: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0191173/

In the UK, it's been shown on the Cartoon Network - I should imagine it will appear there in the US form time to time (like the end of October, if the schedulers have any sense).

Eventually, there will be a page for it on my website, but I haven't got round to it just yet.

- Phil
http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, is trick-or-treat a strange concept to UK viewers? The book traces it to Irish customs, but all I know regarding it as it is now, is that it began in America in response to Halloween pranks, but I don't know when it caught on or became a fully accepted American tradition. If you take the film "Meet Me in Saint Louis" as any authority, it existed, as Thurber's famous story says, "as long ago as 1903." It is to some extent being phased out now. My uncles (same age as Ray) had stories of tipping over outhouses, not trick-or-treating, but Ray seems to remember trick-or-treating and parties. In some communities now trick-or-treating is discouraged in favor of parties.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that seems unfortunate. Everyone is afraid of interacting with their neightbors. And they think hiding from their neighbors will make the world a safer place for their children. What a wacky place we live in.

posted Hide Post
By the way, it has nothing to do with Halloween treats being poisoned. Did you get that safety lecture in grade school about pins in candy bars, razor blades in apples, bringing your candy to the police department to be checked for poison, and so on? Supposedly that's all an urban myth, and no trick-or-treater has ever died from candy poisoned by a stranger. They have, however, been struck by cars, harrassed, or even abducted, hazards of walking alone after dark, and, I guess, there is also concern about vandalism and general rowdiness, which is why the anti-trick-or-treating mail Dear Abby receives each year runs 500 to 1 against continuing the custom. Recent years have also brought "costume censorship"--nothing too revealing, nothing scary or demonic, and nothing which would demean any special interest group--the homeless (no bums/hobos), ethnic groups (no gypsies), the disabled (no pirates with peglegs or hooks), and so on. As far as I know, animals are still okay as long as real fur is not used, but this may not last for long.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, remember the Halloween safety classes. It frightened me until I actually put on my pirate costume and went out searching for cripples to dance a jig in front of But really, I did weigh the signifigance of razor blades over candy and found that for me a cut tongue is, believe it or not remedied by sugar which works as a superb clotting agent.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

Trick or treat has become quite familiar to us in the UK. It used to be a strange thing that we only saw in American films and TV shows, but over the last ten to fifteen years it has become quite common over here. Most of us see it as an American import, but like many "Americanisms" it may well have had its origins in Europe.

Actually, most British kids (and most British adults) seem to overlook the "trick" option. When trick-or-treaters come to your door, you either give them a treat, or you say "not today, thankyou" and just close the door in their faces. It is also not confined to Halloween night, but tends to run continuously from the beginning of October.

The rise of trick or treat brings us three months of continuous "begging" by children: in October we get trick or treat; in October-November we get "penny for the Guy" (how many of you Americans know what THAT's all about?); and in December its Xmas carollers.

- Phil...who on re-reading the above feels that he sounds like Scrooge...

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 10-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 10-08-2003).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic,

Re: "A penny for the Guy."

As a matter of fact, I'm vaguely aware of that tradition. From a poem by John Betjeman, I learned the tradition is for what's-his-name, Guy Fawkes, something like that. If memory serves, to commemorate this person, you were to give money to whoever asked for "A penny for the Guy." Can't remember exactly the reason for it. Perhaps you can enlighten us Yanks.

(Amazing what you can learn on this Bradbury site, isn't it?)

I look forward to your response.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post