Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Sound of Thunder paperback (following Nard)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound of Thunder paperback (following Nard)
 Login/Join

posted
I saw this in the bookstore and wanted to buy it just to support Bradbury book sales. If I remember right, it simply a re-issue of Golden Apples of the Sun with the focus on A Sound of Thunder to make sales off the movie. I have no problem with it (1) I think it could sell more copies of Bradbury's book, (2) It could expose readers to a broad range of Bradbury's stories--beyond Sound of Thunder.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: I would reply to your post, rather than start a new one, but I can't ever figure out how.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark: It's not that clear and concise.

Go to the bottom, where the box for comments is located...click on that... which will bring you to another, but similar window. Now find that little yellow arrow at the far right, bottom. Click on that and brings you to a message box. Presto.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was another thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it.

I agree with Mr Dark, but with one slight reservation. Some poor Bradbury fans are going to buy this book in a hurry (dashing to catch a train or plane) and will be heartily disappointed to find that they already own it under its original title.

The publishers should at least put some small print on the cover somewhere saying "Previously published as..."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember right, the reference to it being Golden Apples of the Sun is on the front or back cover. Need to look again, though. I could be wrong.

posted Hide Post
Ah, then the publishers have done the decent thing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I asked Ray specifically about this as I was excited that it might be new stories, but then he said that it was Golden Apples of the Sun reissued with that beautiful front cover and, I believe, new name. It seems that it would only be right that the publishers bring out that it is a reissue.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The movie didn't stay out long. Did any of the Bradbury loyalists see it? I never did. Was it any good?

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark: Tho thunder comes and goes ever so quickly, quicker still was the movie itself. Actually, at the speed of lightning would be more accurate. But, alas! No lighting at the box office. I didn't get to see it. But a friend of mine did...and thought Ben Kingsley did an outstanding job. He thought the story went well, tho the date he was with begged to differ.

Perhaps there will be an eventual DVD in the works...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never got to see it anywhere in any form.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It never even reached the UK. As for the DVD, Amazon has a placeholder for it, which suggests that release can't be too far away. Watch this space:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005JN3E/002-1050377...ctionCode=imdb-adbox

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Just yesterday I bought the new "Sound of Thunder" i.e., Golden Apples of the Sun collection, because it had the neat poster of the butterfly on the cover. Additionally, I did purchase Ray Bradbury Speaks, From the Cave etc. and am enjoying it immensely.

I, too, did not get to see the movie. I think that it is such a shame that some movies get so much promotion, posters, TV ads, the stars appearing on Leno, Letterman, etc. With Thunder, nothing. So it makes you wonder what is behind the studios's thinking. It has not only been Thunder, but other movies as well that are here one day on onto DVD the next.

Yes, hopefully, Thunder will make it to DVD. Why not?

I am going to call Ray again and bug him about writing an update for the "In His Own Words" segment of the web site. I had faxed what he had previously written and I am sure that she sheets are lying somewhere in his den/office.

Will let you know what he says.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane 1:

"Franchise Pictures", the company that brought 'A Sound of Thunder' to the screen, filed for bankruptcy just as the picture went into post production... meaning before the film editing, sound editing, etc etc.

Hence, Warner Brothers (committed to distribute the picture)...in order to re-coup some of their money, cancelled out most all of the advertising revenue.. and 'diverted' it all elsewhere...!.