Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
From Gauntlet:

Richard Matheson's Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

We are still assembling material for Richard Matheson’s Nightmare at 20,000 Feet., set for publication in 2010. We have been made aware of two additional possible contents, but Richard Matheson has to agree to their appearing in the book (and we may have to obtain permissions if he wants them included).

We have locked down an introduction by William Shatner, star of the original Twilight Zone episode. He will only be signing the 26-copy lettered edition (his introduction will appear in all editions).

Once we make this title available January 1, 2010 for preorder we expect these 26 copies to sell almost immediately. What we’d like to do is make these 26-copies available first to regular Gauntlet customers. If you want to reserve a copy (you are NOT obligated to purchase it as we haven’t even set a price for it yet), follow these instructions:

Send an email to info@gauntletpress.com. In the subject mention “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet Lettered Reservation.” Include your name and address.
When we begin taking orders January 1 those who have reserved copies will get preference.
We will send you an email prior to January 1 explaining how you can retain your reserved copy.
We won’t be asking for payment until January 1.
If there are more than 26 people (Gauntlet customers) who reserve a copy of the lettered edition we will decide who gets priority and who will be on a waiting list.

There will be no preference given to first-come, first-served and no raffle. Although word may spread to Shatner fans via websites who are not Gauntlet customers, our customers will still receive highest priority. No decision on who will get the 26 copies will be made until we have at least 26 reservations for the book. So, all you need to do now is let us know of your interest (you are not committing yourself). We will update you once we see how strong the interest is. Matheson himself will be signing just 200 tipsheets for the numbered edition. There will be a third unsigned limited of this title.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I taking an educated guess here and saying that more than one or two members of this board are fans of The Twilight Zone. If I am correct then you have to go out and get the new copy of Dark Discoveries Magazine. It is their 50th Anniversary issue of TZ.

There are articles by William F. Nolan, Earl Hamner, Jr., Richard Matheson and articles about everybody else associated with the show…including Ray Bradbury, Charles Beaumont and Rod Serling.

I am proud to say that there are two photos of events that I organized. The three legends event which was, sadly, the last time Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen and Forrest J Ackerman were together. And then, George Clayton Johnson’s 80th birthday party.

http://www.darkdiscoveries.com/

At least three of the surviving writers for the TZ will be at Ray’s birthday party…and maybe a couple other names associated with the series.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know how long they've been available there, but twilightzoneradio.com has all episodes as originally broadcast of BRADBURY THIRTEEN.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Brother Tarkas, that is amazing news!

I was expecting a link to some unauthorised download site, but these look legitimate (and they are charging for them, 1.95USD).

If anyone is wondering what we're talking about, see my Bradbury 13 page.

People are always asking me where they can get Bradbury 13 - now I have an answer for them!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received this information from my friend at File770.com:

Jerry Weist Medical Update
August 23rd, 2009 Author and collectibles dealer Jerry Weist is battling multiple myeloma, reports Andrew Porter. The cancer was caught early, with no complications in his vital organs or other parts of his body. He’s just started on chemotherapy, an experimental program in which stem cells are used to fight the disease, presently being used to treat 15 people in Israel and 35 in the USA.

Weist is the author of Bradbury: An Illustrated Life, The Comic Art Price Guide, and The Art of Frank R. Paul. From 1990 to 2001 he was a consultant at Sotheby’s specializing in popular culture, overseeing the auction of Sam Moskowitz’s collection.

A few years ago Weist acquired the Harry Warner collection and sold the fanzines to James Halperin of Dallas, co-owner of Heritage Rare Coin Galleries. Not long afterward Askance editor John Purcell interviewed Halperin and reported Weist wanted to write a book about fanzines.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, I have misplaced the address that I had for Jerry. Would it be appropriate to post it so that we could send get well cards to him? I just thought it might be a nice gesture as I am sure many of us Board Members had purchased his The Illustrated Bradbury and enjoyed it as much as myself.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
John, I have misplaced the address that I had for Jerry. Would it be appropriate to post it so that we could send get well cards to him? I just thought it might be a nice gesture as I am sure many of us Board Members had purchased his The Illustrated Bradbury and enjoyed it as much as myself.

I do not have his address, we've always communicated by phone or email. May I suggest going to http://jerryweist.com/ and sending an email from there.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
In case anybody missed this or is interested...here is the 1953 review of F451 from the Los Angeles Times:

"Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which book-paper catches fire and burns. Houses are built of fireproof material, and there is no longer any need for firemen; yet there are fire stations, fire trucks, sirens, and midnight runs. The fireman's job is not to put out fires, but to set them! 

Montag has been a fireman for 10 years, a job inherited from his father and grandfather. He knows only the pleasure of burning books, when an informer sends in an alarm. He delights in the smell of kerosene.

And then, one night, he encounters an old lady who refuses to leave her house so that they may burn her books. He has also met a girl who knows something of the past, a closed book to Montag.

That is the beginning of Montag's doubt in himself and the world he lives in. It leads him on into a new kid of inferno, internal as well as external. And here the reader must follow him, for the reviewer has already betrayed far too much of Bradbury's magnificent conception.

Bradbury has more than ideas, and that is what sets him apart from most writers who try to be original. He is fantastic, and human. He never looks at anything with a jaded eye; he is a storyteller every  minute of the time, and he is definitely his own kind of storyteller."

Los Angeles Times ~ 1953

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
One of Ray's oldest friend's was quoted in today's Los Angeles Times article on the 70th Anniversary of 'The Wizard of Oz.'

http://www.latimes.com/enterta...ug29,0,4986668.story

Ray Harryhausen

Visual effects pioneer, "Clash of the Titans," "Jason and the Argonauts," "Mighty Joe Young"

"Although 'King Kong' remains my favorite fantasy/adventure film of all time, primarily because of the influence it had on my childhood and career, I can certainly say that 'The Wizard of Oz' is a very close second. I was extremely impressed with the amazing work done on the film by the legendary A. Arnold 'Buddy' Gillespie, MGM's top visual effects artist, as well as the wonderful production design by the industry's best art directors. That the film has endured and still impresses after 70 years is no surprise to me. I expect it to continue to gain new admirers during the next 70 years."

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Recent Bradbury video. Originally on CNN news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...feature=channel_page

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1984 interview with Ray Bradbury is available at the following site. http://www.enteringthemindseye.com/bradbury13.html
Click(or right click 'save as') where it says Bradbury Thirteen 1984 Bradbury On Bradbury. Writers and other creatives may appreciate his insights.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And enjoy this short one.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an article from today's Los Angeles Times in praise of the F451 graphic novel:

http://www.latimes.com/enterta...ep04,0,1569620.story

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Don't like reading? Read on...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
On this day in 1966 Star Trek premiered on TV. The first episode, The Man Trap, was penned by a dear friend of Ray's, George Clayton Johnson.

John King Tarpinian