Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Right. Among serious filmmaking circles, colourisation is laughed at in much the same way Pat Robertson is laughed at in serious theological circles.

Some films (thousand made, not just a few that you seem to think that were only produced) would be ideal for colorization. (Where did you learn to spell, fellow?) I'm actually more interested in adding full sound to many of the silent movies. Take an old obscure cowboy movie.

Pat Robertson laughed at at serious circles? You must mean the old wreck you follow who thinks everyone is suspected of being a homo who hung around with Jesus. What his name again: Speck? Spock? Spooky? Spackle? If you follow that ignoramous your life must be a wreck or on its way.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Where did you learn to spell, fellow?

Oh, I always use the Queen's good English, never American!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what Doug will see from outside his new corner office.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Image3954117-Cherry_Blossom_Festival_2008-Washington_DC.jpg (42 Kb, 5 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
This is what Doug will see from outside his new corner office.

Ah, the well-known phallic symbol of the USA.

Maybe I'll see it if they put me at Anacostia - I still don't know if I'll be placed there, Fort Meade, or Bethesda!

But I trust that the right decision will be made. I'm not worried about it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Choice of sound makes all the difference. There have been restored Charlie Chaplin films with the original score, and others where just any unrelated music is thrown in. The unrestored ones are distracting.

This is also covered extensively in "The Silent Clowns".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been to Florida... Then it's back down to Florida for the weekend to stay with my family on a beach condo near Destin Florida...

Just back from Florida myself, having presented a paper (on Bradbury's use of Time) at the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts.

The UK is decidely chilly after Orlando in the Spring.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I wonder why not more is being done to add modern day sound and sound effects and voices to some of the ""silents"" out there.

Because that would be akin to colourisation - a travesty!

Hmm. Not quite. Silent movies were rarely totally silent; they usually had a live musical accompaniment, either from an orchestra or a pianist. Sometimes from a specially composed score, sometimes from a (semi-) improvised performance. I therefore see nothing wrong in principle with having a new score (including sound effects) attached to a previously "silent" movie.

IN PRINCIPLE. It would depend on the quality of the audio track. Did you ever see the "modern" version of Metropolis, with the Giorgio Moroder soundtrack? Yeuchhhh!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I therefore see nothing wrong in principle with having a new score (including sound effects) attached to a previously "silent" movie.

Nor do I. I was referring chiefly to adding voices.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Bill and George signed Logan's Run today at the book shoppe:

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson holding up a souvenir T-Shirt.

John King Tarpinian

ImageBillGeorgeTshirt.JPG (182 Kb, 6 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, where was the conference in Florida? Had I known I would have come up and said hello.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that it was in Orlando, only a brief three and half hour drive from here. I wish that I had remembered or that you would have mentioned it as I would definately enjoyed coming and meeting you.

Will you be at the one next year? Maybe then if you attend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug's post may have been a bit misleading. The event was on the Left Coast. He was just fed a photo by a lovely lady that he shared with the group. I, on the other hand, was front row center...

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
He was just fed a photo by a lovely lady that he shared with the group.

I shared a lovely lady with the group!?

Kinky.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
How William Nolan met Ray Bradbury!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU0vouxpuBw

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post