Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 27

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hmm. Old regular board is crashing? And this one survives? Ha!

Naw! Probably something at the end of the month to do with the bulky message board.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Nard, regarding "cdk",
have you seen this?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0809_cdk_davies.asp

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

You know, I glanced at that article.
Thanks! This idea of a pea-sized brain trying to understand creation reminds me why God created ants. He created them for us to get a better picture of our position to greater things beyond us that God created as well.

I have to print it out and read it over at dinner tonight.

Want to make a comment here in miscellaneous about the Mel Gibson issue. I'll be quick about it. (Kinda).

=======
Mel Gibson professes to be a believer in Jesus Christ...meaning, that he understands salvation, meaning... that thru faith (that being God-given) in the declared words written by hands moved by God (scripture writers)...he has come to know (thru the Holy Spirit)...that Jesus Christ is now presenting Mel Gibson before His Father, cleansed, forgiven and in a place of honor. If this is all true, then what you have just seen happen is God taking Mel out to the woodshed and giving him a good lickin'. God doesn't do this to Hugh Hefners or Larry Flynts. He does it to shake-up the adopted son, so that the devil doesn't continue to trash him. A believer is ALREADY there. St, Peter says thru scripture, ..have you forgotten? Let me remind you again... (Often, forgetting means...becoming an idiot again!)

Now I'm taking that particular route described in passages from scripture what God does to a believer who gets reckless with his walk with Christ. I've been taken out to the woodshed on numerous occasions. And it's amazing to see the fallen nature we live with when after all that, we still are prone to wander. Really is a sad story of that sinful nature of man.

My hunch is that Mel just may be the one who demonstrates how God can heal a wretched soul and the world see that it isn't mere mortal man trying to pick himself up by his own self.

Stay tuned.
========

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-02-2006).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup.
What gets us into trouble is what makes us like God, i.e. free will.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was the knowledge of good and evil....(Genesis 3, vs. 4,5)

--------

Also, I think this whole meeting of Mel Gibson with Jewish Rabbis, next few weeks...and his need for them to help him find reconciliation, is incredible if you think about what's going on here.

Mel Gibson, who has fallen times before, but likely would say he finds the forgiveness of Christ to begin again, may not have the clearest idea of what it means to be empowered by Christ to avoid sin, but, nonetheless, is struggling with that. And now meeting those of the Jewish faith, who do not consider Christ God, that is to say, their Messiah. So we now have here God, should Mel permit himself to do so, (or should God so will) who would heal him thru all this within the context of the Jewish community, by the opening their hearts to this man. It is really one of the most interesting situations, if only because it is being done on a world stage. This stuff happens all the time in daily life, but not on so open a place where so many to see...if they know what they're looking at.

For those who are not aware of it, Mel has a tremendous support in the Catholic and Christian community. But obviously not reaaallly close freinds who kept tabs on him. Addictions are insidious. Like scripture talks about a man from whom the devil had gone out, MUST fill the room (his soul, his being) with the character of God in Christ, less that strong one come back and break in with even others, and bring utter ruin to the place he was demanded to leave from. THIS, is in the vocabulary of Mel Gibson's faith.

But, oh, how we wander, how we forget...

====================================

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-03-2006).]

posted Hide Post
"For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice."

Romans 7:19 (New King James Version)

posted Hide Post
Now for something COMPLETELY different:

Here's photos supposedly from the last several weeks, of the latest finding of what may be Noah's Ark. As of this writing, a whole bunch of people (scientists, archeologists, etc.) are examining this to see what this really is. Surrounding this entire area is a 1 foot thick, several miles wide layer of sea shells. And this object is at about 12,500 feet, having, it appears, slid down hundreds of feet by a glacier.
http://www.baseinstitute.org/noaharkpics1.html

posted Hide Post
THANKS!
dandelion...for the
continual and wonderful upkeep of this humble board!!!

posted Hide Post
Hey, for anyone interested, www.365tomorrows.com ran a small piece of fiction that I wrote. It's called "The Business Acumen," and it's on their page today. I got the notice that they were going to run it the day after Ray's birthday. Ever since I read "The Martian Chronicles" years ago, all I ever really wanted to do is write. Thanks, Ray. If I ever get decent at writing, you're responsible.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
::::Thanks for the Miscellaneous Forum::::

Is this country truly falling apart?

I was downtown Los Angeles earlier today (September 2nd, 2006). Took my wife downtown. We drove into the downtown and parked, and walked towards a parade. So I thought. News accounts would later say there were 5,000 there. I'd say there was far more. By the time I walked away from this demonstration/parade a few minutes later, I was shaking. I had to get out of there. I felt my life was in danger. That is to say, of all those around me, I felt anyone of them could do something harmful to me. I am the European white person that the large banners read must return back to Europe and forsake this country back to Mexico. My wife, being Mexican, blended into the crowds. I stood out like a white European. And with my family on my mother's side first coming to America from Lithuania in 1924, I was definitely in the target of accusation. All around, signs demanding the return of America to Mexico, etc. Now this is no small parade of folks. This parade comprised of hundreds of people and streets lined with thousands of spectators.

We quickly walked away. My wife stopped in one of the stores along the way to buy something. I waited outside, watching the demonstration from a distance. It was a couple hours later that I heared on the radio that this was a demonstration specifically in support of a woman who was supposed to be deported as illegal and sought refuge in a church in Chicago. This was NOT that! Somebody got their news wrong here.

While waiting for my wife, I listed to three women talking about 'stuff', and I just as they broke up, mentioning that they were to meet later on, I happend to catch the intention of one of them with, "whatta you think about what's happening there?" gesturing towards the street aways down. Well, turns out I was talking to one of the demonstrators herself. I'm pretty bad in telling nationalities lots of the times.
I still can't tell if she was part Mexican, or a mixture of races, or whatever. But her intentions were clear: Mexico needed to claim back America and Bush needed to be removed.

When I went around with her on this topic for a couple minutes, I went for the throat with, "Are you going to heaven when you die?" Believe it or not, that always gets a critical response. In this case she came out with a loud, "I don't believe in such things." I came back with, well that explains your position on everything. I left (or my wife found me and dragged me away)...until we reached the corner, at the stoplight, and this woman decided that my last parting remark was too much to leave hanging. She continued. We went around and around for a full minute, but by the time the light chanegd and we got across the street, I ended it there. She gave me a card, and I waved goodbye.

Here, in part, is what the card said. With all the terrorism against the US, the indifference in moral conduct anywhere in the media, this problem of immigration and what it obviosuly is turning into..(This is No small event in some small town no one ever heard of)... I think it's all heading all on the rapids towards a waterfall... Twenty years?

Here is what the card read:
NEW PRESENTATIONS

� We are in a thoroughly Rotten System and the Need for Revolution

� Communism: A whole New World and the Emancipation of All Humanity--Not "The Last Shall Be First, and the First Shall Be Last"

� The NBA: Marketing the Minstrel Show and Serving the Big gangsters

� Communism and Religion: Getting Up and Getting Free--Making Revolution to Change the Real World, Not Relying on "Things Unseen." http://www.revcom.us

I'm not getting near downtown anytime soon, or as long as that woman in Chicago is still staying put in that Church... In the meanwhile, this is all scary,no matter what ethnic persuation you are...

posted Hide Post
Yikes!!! Then it's true? My brother in L.A. is always going on about this "The Mexicans are trying to take over the country" and "It's not immigration, it's an invasion" business to the point where he sounds like a broken record and I always listen to him, let him have his say, try to calm him down, all the while thinking to myself, "Boy, is this guy paranoid or what?". Maybe not.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iQu� cosa!

posted Hide Post
Tenga miedo. Este muy atemorizado.

posted Hide Post
Stop that!!! I'd rather strike up a conversation with the shemale upstairs than have to listen to that gibberish.

Umm, errr, eeeyeah... there really is a shemale up in "favorite story". Do not click on the link.

Aye, yi, yi, que grosero, disculpar mi.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-05-2006).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So?

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post