Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray Obviously Will Have No Legacy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Obviously Will Have No Legacy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Silly (Is senile)this message is for you Don't tell us what you think about Ray if you don't have real reasons!!!!! If you've got some, please explain them to me because I don't understand your opinion...

Posts: 1 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy everyone!! We're just stopping by for a spell to see if there is any troublemakers around here that need some 'fixing'. We are fully capable of routing those that want to disrupt the waters. Any friend of Mr. Bradbury, is a friend of Mr. Verne.

Posts: 16 | Location: 03/03/05 Heading back towards Catalina. Stopping there for several days. Currently cruising 20 knots at about 75 feet down. Soon to resurface. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion--I generally don't want posts deleted, even when they are offensive. Usually I believe the best technique is to ignore the trolls so their posts drop to the bottom, unread and useless. But the above post by MixedSignals makes me change my opinion about this stance. The post is outright slander, not to mention disrespectful and disgusting. Please get rid of it.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper: Howdy! We would gladly knock that troublemaker clear to kingdom come. But sometimes (often) we blast a few others along with it. (We arn't equipped with those new fangled laser pinpointers). However, if dandelion is not in any hurry, we would gladly oblige, & the offending posts will be zapped!

Posts: 16 | Location: 03/03/05 Heading back towards Catalina. Stopping there for several days. Currently cruising 20 knots at about 75 feet down. Soon to resurface. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, lmskipper, the really bad ones are gone. They weren't the first of their kind, it's just that after a huge protest following the first few the others disappeared so fast you probably don't remember them. Some of the less offensive replies remain, though I suspect they may be from the same person signing in under different usernames just to argue with their own alter egos.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This reply is an obituary for a topic under another forum heading in which I was asked to "purge the language and hate speech out of these posts." Unfortunately, the conditions had spread to every area and the patient did not survive the operation.

(The word I meant was post-mortem, but couldn't think of it. The point being, once all the offensive posts were removed as offensive, and all the protests against the offensive posts were removed as no longer relevant, what was left was a few now out-of-context statements. So the whole thread had to go! Sometimes it's just gotta be that way.)

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 02-19-2005).]

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, dandelion, for keeping an eye as best as you can on things here. This is not censorship. This is keeping your house in order. Censorship is a funny thing. Something somewhere is censored, and needs be. Or there would be full scale chaos.

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes thanks, dandelion, for excising that, um, stuff. I thought my job had made me immune to disgust, but some of those posts proved me wrong.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Well, all I know for sure is that, despite his film being touted as an expose' of corruption and greed, no one's made more money off of this tragedy than Michael Moore.

I'll tell you who made more money off of 911 than michael moore; the entire right wing in U.S. politics. Haliburton and the Bush administration used 911 to their advantage, they made money and got power over the bodies of thousands of people.

Posts: 1 | Location: Beloit, WI, Unites States | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baloney!
(You're in the wrong topic heading. You need Miscellaneous . )
see: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000087.html
What does your post have to do with Bradbury, anyway?

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This from a review on the Stories of RB:

"My ancient and intuitive taste tells me that Ray Bradbury's stories are meretricious more often than not... because his imagination so regularly becomes mired in genteel gush and self-pity, because his environing cliches have made him nearly oblivious to new data from any source...some of Mr. Bradbury's more memorable tales achieve [the] last and largest purpose of myth-making--offering symbolically effective ways of thinking about the unthinkable. Even as mythmaker, however, Mr. Bradbury's failures outnumber his successes..."
New York Times Book Review - Thomas M. Disch (10/26/1980)

I wonder WHO Mr. Disch is and what HE is doing 25 yrs. later???

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I agree, who IS this guy and where is he hiding?

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thomas Disch was really very popular years ago. I have not been up with the latest, but he still writes. Last thing I recall, personally, was ''Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars''...I may even have met him somewhere along the endless science fiction get togethers years back. Check out his bio: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authros/Thomas_M_DFisch.htm

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard! How ironic that a "cynic" ends up popularizing "The Brave Little Toaster"! Possibly his feelings toward RB's works have changed some over the years.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that quote. I do remember someone writing about Bradbury's works being self-pitying and wondering from time to time over the years who made that odd remark and what he meant by it.