Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Get out if you can!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Glad to see someone with a knowledge of difference between meteors and meteorites.

A meteor is the visible event that occurs when a meteoroid or asteroid enters Earth's atmosphere and becomes brightly visible.

A meteorite is a portion of a meteoroid or asteroid that survives its passage through the atmosphere and impact with the ground without being destroyed.

I read the encyclopaedia!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Salsipuedes" does mean "get out if you can"!
I'll have to research the naming of that town someday.

And, Grassy, someone proposed a no-cost-to-us trip, didn't they? So that would mean a plane or (even better) a train, rather than a drive,I should think.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I wonder, though, if we couldn't meet philnic and tinkerbell halfway. Maybe Biplane's house?

I thought we'd already agreed on a picnic in the English countryside. biplane's house would do if you guys don't have a passport. Or maybe the Azores.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
..They built fantastic cities high in the Andes without the use of the wheel...But they never realized the wheel...

One of them DID discover the wheel, but being so high up in the Andes it rolled all the way to the bottom, so they gave it up as a bad idea.

To be semi-serious for a moment, the wheel has always struck me as one of those inventions that only seems a great idea from our point of view: we are used to long stretches of smooth, flat roads; ideal for the wheel. But if you live in forests, rough terrain, or halfway up a mountain: not so great.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Or maybe the Azores.

And why not? Here's a picnic tree!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Obliterate" is a good word:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/01oct_encke.htm?list950944

(Run the audio and click on the photo)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, Grassy, someone proposed a no-cost-to-us trip, didn't they? So that would mean a plane or (even better) a train, rather than a drive,I should think.

Who did what?!? Oh man, I would be so there if that were true. My kids are gone, I'm leaving Spouse tomorrow, rent is paid, and my job sucks anyways. There's essentially nothing preventing me from breaking camp for just such an excursion. And I need it.

BTW, Spouse will likely lay claim to this computer. Beginning in November my internet access will be virtually nil. Until I can afford to buy my own I'll have to check-in once or twice weekly from the library. Love you all.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grass, I pray all works out for the best for you.
I did the one-hour-limit-on-the-computer-at-the-library thing for a while when I was out of work. Had to take the bus a lot too.
Someone did suggest this excursion/meeting be gratis, but nobody volunteered to foot the bill.
Is Bill Gates a Bradbury fan?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I did the one-hour-limit-on-the-computer-at-the-library thing for a while...

RB did a similar thing back in the fifties at UCLA's library, only with dimes and a typewriter.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Gods following gods. The Romans cut the Druids, their oaks, their God of the Dead, bang! down! And put in their own gods, eh? Now the Christians run and cut the Romans down! New altars, new incense, new name..."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yeah, the good old days when we'd pack a lunch and trot out to watch the human sacrifices. Though, some of the peasant women did seem genuinely attached to their spawn when we'd put 'em in the fire for Moloch.

posted Hide Post
No - I was just quoting from The Halloween Tree.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Whenever we find a particularly well-written Bradbury passage (that would be all of them!), why not post it here for all to enjoy?

Or we could create a thread for it called "Particularly Well-Written Quotes", and it could be any author, even.

What say ye?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Trot is a good word.

"Live Forever!"