Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray Has burned his own book
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Has burned his own book
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:

In an August 2001 interview with Salon, Bradbury said of George W. Bush, "He's wonderful. We needed him. Clinton is a shithead and we're glad to be rid of him." In 2004, he became extremely upset over Michael Moore's use of the title "Fahrenheit 9/11" and was quoted by Swedish interviewers as saying, ""Michael Moore is a screwed asshole .... He is a horrible human being."

Excuse me, but what the fuck? That doesn't sound like Bradbury. Link source, please.

If this is not a farse or taken out of context, I am deeply, deeply disturbed by it.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"@#)*__+W\".>O(@=W:?,!"
-Lenny Bruce

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
priory,

I've never found myself with empty bookshelves either. I have shelves everywhere, and also use converted china cabinets for groups of books that share some sort of focus or other common thread. The master bedroom has one continous shelf that circles the room, 12 inches below the ceiling. It rests on the trim of the closets, windows, and doors with additional brackets as needed. Fairly atractive use for a normally wasted space. Kind of a pain to dust though. I used to tell people I was going to put a shelf in the dishwasher but then my wife had it fixed. People would laugh because they thought I was joking.

Posts: 3 | Location: w. haverstraw, ny | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LordShen,

Great minds think alike. I can't remember the last present I bought for anyone that wasn't a book. You must take it upon yourself to bring them back from the dark side. It is an honorable, even noble pursuit. Some books won't touch a nerve, some might not ever even be picked up again after being unwrapped, but persevere my friend. Because one day when we're doddering old coots, a niece, nephew, godchild, or whatever, will sit down next to you at a family reunion, July 4th barbeque, or wedding, and during the conversation will say something to the effect of, "You know, I always looked forward to your presents, because I knew it would be some strange and wonderful book. I've never thanked you for this, but you were responsible for turning me on to reading and it is a habit I've never given up."
And then my friend, you will hear the angels sing.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Posts: 3 | Location: w. haverstraw, ny | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good hope. I haven't lost it...yet.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:
Yes! Tokyo Rose!
Tokyo Rose would make a fine Demoncrat nowadays.
She was educated in the United States, but was on the side of the Japanese during World War 2, and made her famous radio broadcasts to turn the GI's against the war. Some of her arguments against the US involvement in the War was, to begin with, that the War was illegal, and the President himself got the election illegally. Wow! Shades of the 21st Century!

Nico:
Honestly, I agree! think you are a bit disturbed!

fjp451:
What a way to go, that Lenny Bruce fellow. Needles stuck in his arm, while sitting on the crapper! Way to go!

Doug Spaulding:
Gee! Let me guess. George Bush the younger! This sounds like fun. Now can I make a list of another President?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding:
Gee! Let me guess. George Bush the younger! This sounds like fun. Now can I make a list of another President?

Your turn.

Doesn't even have to be a president - can be anyone!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nico:

Say wha?

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico has a point, "screwed asshole" doesn't exactly sound like a direct quote from Ray. I'd expect Ray to say something more like "goddamn sonofabitch"!

Nard, how about doing a list about FDR?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: I don't agree with all those comments on Bush!
========================================

Here's one:
Connect the person to the quote:

a.William Blake b.Bjork c.Anne Heche
d.A.E.VanVogt e.Jules Verne f.Ray Bradbury
g.Dwight Eisenhower h.Salvador Dali
i.Andrew Jackson j.Muddy Waters k.Benj.Franklin
l.HG Wells m.Orville Wright n.Robt L. Stevenson
o.Elvis Presley p.Grover Cleveland q.John Adams
r.John Calvin s.Ernest Hemingway t.Newt Gingrich

1/ Have no fear of perfection. You will never achieve it!
2/ The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, io little.
3/ I don't recall having any self-awareness about the intricacy of my stories.
4/ Peace above all things, is to be desired, but blood must sometimes be spilled to obtain it on equable and lasting terms.
5/ Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
6/ Isn't it astonishing that all these secrets have been preserved for so many years just so we could discover them.
7/ Once you are married, there is nothing for you, not even suicide, but to be good.
8/ Liberty is worth paying for.
9/ There is no worse screen to block out God than confidence in our own intelligence.
10/ A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
11/ I'm not going to talk like I know about politics, because I'm a total amateur, but maybe I can be a spokeperson for people who aren't normally interested in politics.
12/ I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?
13/ I was raised to pretend
14/ The United states is not a nation to which peace is a neccesity.
15/ Any man who wants to be president is either an egomaniac or crazy.
16/ Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
17/ You get a heck of a sound from the church. Can't you hear it in my voice?
18/ After a hard day of basic training, you could eat a rattlesnake.
19/ It's going to be a bummer if Mars turns out to be like us.
20/ God works wonder now and then; Behold a lawyer, an honest man.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am often disturbed myself!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Say wha?

Wha is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
I'd expect Ray to say something more like "goddamn sonofabitch"!

That's him exactly!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: I was thinking, I should just mix-up all the answers. Would anybody notice?

To prime the pump (with the correct answers), here's a few:
5 -l
7 -n
11 -b
16 -q
20 -k

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
I'd expect Ray to say something more like "goddamn sonofabitch"!

That's him exactly!

I'm no fan of Clinton or Bush; still I just don't see Bradbury saying that. I can see why he would like the idea of exploring Mars proposed by Bush, but that's about it.

I, personally, want to see the Europa Icepick program see more support!