Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Give Me a Break!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give Me a Break!
 Login/Join

posted

Sitting outdoors tonight (yes, tad warmer in Southern California this time of year), with my dying pooch next to me while looking up at all the stars. That my whole bodily self is visually open to the whole physical universe makes my heartbeat differently for a second. Often think that the starry universe being so easy to look at is in itself facts thrust upon us with few to believe. For we're not looking down some simple street and mystified by some ongoings there. No, but looking into the infinite unknown, and hardly understanding. How can that be, all this openess layed bare?

Or...we may not accept the existence of ghosts, or a ghost, but accept the fact that thousands of voices, unheard, fill the air, and thousands of pictures, and activities of every sorts, rushing thru the atmospheres and all around our being do exist encapsulated in bits of energy. A hundred years ago, no one would understand. Today, with radio and TV, we don't deny electronic signals.

For those who think they got it all figured out, Give Me A Break! What does one discern in looking at creation around him, but mystery and insight, and marvel, and more mystery. Why must man discover? Why is it all hidden in the first place? That something is created thru combinations of a myriad of techniques and materials means the conditions for its creation exists. How can that be?

Why did a carnival man with an electric sword tell Bradbury to live forever? If there was no carnival man, and no Bradbury, would there ever be another like either?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. No two snowflakes are alike, right? But…how do we know that?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find two snowflakes that are alike and disprove it.
In the meantime, give me a break!

http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/...d=505&gid=35&index=0

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Sorry to hear about your ill dog. The longer I live, the more mysteries I see that point to creator God. The architecture of the human eye and ear are too complex to randomly order themselves. For example, I'm deaf in one ear and physicians and scientists aren't even able to fully understand why I am that way and only can dream of one day being able to repair such a condition.

There was a post on this website recently asking if Ray or Jesus was better. I can only hope that the post was an attempt at humor. While Ray surely inspires us and entertains us, Ray did not shed his blood for my sins. I am an enriched person for having read Ray's stories, but I am a new creation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Blind Henry

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blind Henry: Thanks.

But...consider much of today's Christianity in the marketplace and find cliches and 'heard all this before' verbage. But we are mesmerized by inspired art or weather at sundown, a moment in family that speaks so to the observer that words made audible all would disminish. There are colors around us we cannot see. Think about that one. What would a color you never saw before look like? Can you imagine it? Naw! Yet the remote on many TV clickers beams out a color of light that is invisible to the human eye. We simply don't know what it would look like.

In scripture it says man is ultimately held responsible for not knowing his Creator because God is there to be found in the very beauty of Earth's nature, inspiring the heart, and speaking to the soul. Why, then, would a great artist, musician, writer, painter, sculpture, cosmologist, or even the environmentalist seeking to retain the beauty of the forest, say the existence of God is questionable?

posted Hide Post
Still checking.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31:
This website says 20 Trillion snowflakes in a snowstorm. No flakes alike? Give me a break!
www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=942560

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard. Very interesting link.

posted Hide Post
Somebody out there can tell me what in the world this is?
http://www.last.fm/music/Ray+Bradbury

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radio adaptations of RB's stories.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radio adaptations? I don't think so. Looks more like German music compositions with Bradbury titles. This strange site (above) definitely qualifies for.... "GIVE ME A BREAK!"

posted Hide Post
Something like that.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audio books rather than radio adaptations. In German. (One of them links to this 'hoerbuch' on Amazon UK.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ja, "hörbuch" means "hear book" (audio book).
I love the Edward Gorey illustration, but I can't say it's appropriate.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are audio books, how come they're listed under MUSIC. You have, as well, two people dancing on the cover of 'Fahrenheit 451'. Let's see.... Music, dancing...Hmmm!! I suggest these are pieces of music with titles from Ray Bradbury stories.