Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Spirit of Montag?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spirit of Montag?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Anyhoo is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I have a full electronic text of F451...

Wonder when *that* came out! My understanding is that Ray was a long-time holdout with respect to the e-book format. As a recent adopter -- I received a smartphone for my birthday two years ago -- I could take a few shots myself, but I do like the ability to search electronically that you get with some (not all) titles. What really gives me the willies though is OCR transcription errors!!!

A few other thoughts about Montag: I maintain a strong association, in the back of my mind, between the character and images of the late actor Oskar Werner, who played Montag in the first movie.

I glanced at some notes about the book just now and I was *very* surprised that it's been an issue for some folks - for instance the Bal-Hi paperback editions controversy. I never knew that and as a boomer I'm very familiar with the Bal-Hi format.

Nor was I aware that Oskar Werner was a pacifist (woah, Vienna 1940's... not the best place to be, not by a long shot) or that he had health issues.

In my opinion many e-book... products screw up the title (ergo the cover art) of a book - it's too small or they skip it entirely, and there's no end papers and in Android the ads and platitudes get the same "weighting" and attention as the %$#@! text.

I bet most readers would be hard pressed to decipher the illustration that accompanies the Wikipedia English entry for F451... it apparently shows the original Ballantine cover... I know I was mystified until I clicked on the wee image to read the detailed description: it's a burning figure made of newspaper, and the figure holds a fireman's helmet???! Oh, ok! Right-o.

Small coincidences: I'm just now watching the movie "99 Homes" where Michael Shannon plays a real estate sharpshooter. Apparently Shannon is also in the second F541 film adaptation!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roman_K2,

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post