Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray and the National Committee for A Sane Nuclear Policy

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray and the National Committee for A Sane Nuclear Policy
 Login/Join

posted
Little known fact: in the late 1950's, Ray Bradbury became involved in the National Committee for A Sane Nuclear Policy (also known as "SANE"), an organization devoted to the cessation of all nuclear testing and general nuclear disarmament. SANE had been founded in 1957 in response to the nuclear arms race which erupted in 1950's. (I still remember the home fallout shelter craze, and the "duck and cover" drills in elementary school. Yeah, like hiding under your school desk will protect you from a nuclear weapon.) A number of celebrities and national figures became involved in the National Committee for A Sane Nuclear Policy, including not only Ray, but comedian and talk show host Steve Allen, actor and singer Harry Belafonte, cartoonist Jules Feiffer, psychologist Erich Fromm, Pogo cartoonist Walt Kelly, The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and actor Robert Ryan. In around 1983, the Committee merged with a group called the Nuclear Weapons Freeze Campaign and became known as SANE/FREEZE, and later changed its name in 1993 to Peace Action. I don't know when Ray's involvement may have ended. Below is a link to a photo of a brochure issued by the Committee, listing Ray as one of its members. It is undated, but I speculate it is from sometime in the late 1950's.

ImageIMG_0452.jpg (30 Kb, 31 downloads)

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post