Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    The Invisible Boy
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Invisible Boy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Nice bat with a pin in its nose.

I don't remember Uncle Einar having been a punk in his teen years.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The premiere of Mr. B's new play series was last night. I expect that Nard will post images sometime soon.

In my defense, my goddaughter "bought it for me." That's all I'm saying until Nard posts the pictures. Big Grin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt:

I put the photo in the RESOURCE Invisible Boy posting.

I DONOT like the new format of posting photos. It doesn't do as well as the previous, easy to use photo online posting. This one is never adequate in presenting what was photographed, and the detail is always lacking.

I left out a lot of photos, but I'm putting in JOHN's photo that he mentions in his post.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the postings. I wish I could be out there, hang out with you guys, and see Ray. Thanks so much for sharing with us this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe in May, eh Mr Dark?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In May, certainly. I finally got a formal acceptance of my abstract; so I'll be going!! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remind me, what happens in May?
I seem to recall some talk of getting together for a last trolley ride with Mr. Tridden and a picnic...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, a bunch of intellectuals will be gathering in Riverside to present papers on RB's Mars at University - sounds like fun!

Although I'm sure a picnic could be arranged.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a conference that will highlight Ray Bradbury and his martian landscapes. Ray himself is scheduled to appear at the conference, also. I'm hoping some of us Bradbury board participants who have never had the chance to meet will be able to meet up while we're out there.

The 26th J. Lloyd Eaton Conference.
Chronicling Mars.
May 16-18, 2008.
University of California, Riverside.

http://library.ucr.edu/?view=collections/spcol/call_for_papers.html

The discovery and exploration of Mars has provided a central element in the development of science fiction. Since actual physical observation of what seemed a possibly habitable planet in the 19th century, Mars has been the location of very different scenarios, which could serve as a map both of the evolution of SF, and of changing modern attitudes toward the human condition. For Wells, Mars the place of never-ending war awakens, and brings us real devastating destruction. For his contemporary Rosny aîné, Mars offers a place of parallel, carbon-based evolution. Heinlein's Martian “old ones,” on the other hand, with their decadent wisdom, prove to be no match for human expansion. If Bradbury's Mars is a nightmare mirror of the human condition; Clarke's sands of Mars are the place of a successful terra-forming experiment. In turn, Clarke's new world for mankind becomes, for D. G. Compton, a terrible penal colony. Mars has been a mythic place, a hostile place, a colony, more recently a utopian space, and finally the neutral terrain of scientific investigation. Examining the nature and significance of these Martian metamorphoses is the subject of this conference.

Papers of 20-25 minutes in length will be considered on the following topics:

The Mythic Mars: Why its survival in the age of modern science;
Mars: Utopia or Dystopia?
The Visual Mars: Imaginings versus photos;
The Mars of Science: the “real” Mars as source of fiction;
The Future of Fictional Mars.
Other Martian musings will be considered if significant.

http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/

As to the "a bunch of intellectuals...". I have no response to that. But, I do take some comfort in the fact that the "bad" people in F451 were the ones who did not read, did not think, did not challenge assumptions, etc. In other words, the "good" people were either pseudo-intellectuals or intellectuals. Lacking a PhD, I suppose I would fall under the category of a pseudo-intellectual. Red Face) I do, though, humbly aspire to be intellectual if not quite an intellectual......

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
...But, I do take some comfort in the fact that the "bad" people in F451 were the ones who did not read, did not think, did not challenge assumptions, etc. In other words, the "good" people were either pseudo-intellectuals or intellectuals. Lacking a PhD, I suppose I would fall under the category of a pseudo-intellectual. Red Face) I do, though, humbly aspire to be intellectual if not quite an intellectual......

Only an intellectual would have written that!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, my thesis here is wrong in that fire chief Beatty was an intellectual. But he sold himself out for order and security. It is often a very, very difficult choice--either freedom and truth OR order and stability.