Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Masters of Science Fiction (TV series)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masters of Science Fiction (TV series)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
LordShen,
Yes, I’ve been watching. Folks must remember that these shows aren’t trying to be original but to showcase the masters’ stories. “The Awakening” was actually Howard Fast’s “The General Zapped An Angel” (1970) and a very good tale for it’s time. This week it’s Heinlein’s “Jerry Was A Man”. Looks like they made some changes but it may still work.

I’ve liked all of the shows so far.

Best.

I trust all that watched Jerry Was a Man noted the name of the private club?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

I trust all that watched Jerry Was a Man noted the name of the private club?

Indeed! I actually enjoyed last night's the best thus far, though I think script writers and directors and producers and such found the banter was funnier than it truly was. I felt like I was expected to laugh at points and then I laughed at points I don't think I was meant to laugh at. Heche did a fine job. Jerry was somewhat likable. The 'cabana boy' and Nappy were the funniest characters. Anyone else see this episode? Next week is the 'season finale' (at least that's what THEY'RE calling it). Please note that while only 4 episodes are being shown, 6 were made.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, neat name for the club. Best episode so far. My wife, decidedly not an SF fan, even liked it.

With name stars, great stories by SF masters, decent production, and Stephen Hawking as narrator, I just don't get why this show's being canned. Maybe it needs to be on SciFi, or some place that encourages quality entertainment.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each show gets better. A short, bright season. The most we can hope for is that the DVDs will have all six stories.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a TV now that has a red light that comes on when you're supposed to laugh.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the season finale is "The Discarded", scripted by Harlan Ellison and Josh Olson (A History of Violence) from Ellison's short story. And directed by Jonathan Frakes. It ought to be good.

However, we don't get the show over here in the UK, so I have to live vicariously through the reviews I read online.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I believe the season finale is "The Discarded", scripted by Harlan Ellison and Josh Olson (A History of Violence) from Ellison's short story. And directed by Jonathan Frakes. It ought to be good.

However, we don't get the show over here in the UK, so I have to live vicariously through the reviews I read online.

Hey philnic,

I can only assume you have access to YouTube. Am I correct? If so, I may be going mad and it's been a few weeks, but last time I checked the episodes were posted there in parts. Not that I'd ever promote illegal activity or anything.

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've seen episodes dotted around the web. (A good central place to look for film and TV stuff is www.tv-links.co.uk ). But I like to watch TV on a TV screen, with a quality image, not all smeary and small on a computer screen!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Phil: You have to get one of those new high resolution 30 inch cinema monitors from Apple. Those 5 inch tweaky black and whites don't work well anymore.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody wanna buy an amber CRT? How about a dot matrix printer?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a “Gorilla Banana” dot matrix printer from those days of yesteryear when there were text adventures like "Zork”. It’s a steel-gray beauty.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard, but it's not my monitor that's making YouTube (etc) smeary and small, it's that darned Flash video format. Now, if everyone used DivX, like those folks at Stage 6...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Speaking of which, I see TV-Links currently has working links to high-quality full episodes of Masters of Science Fiction. Woo-hoo!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Go watch philnic! Let us know what you think!

posted Hide Post
The last was definitely the best. Did anyone see it?