Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Masters of Science Fiction (TV series)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masters of Science Fiction (TV series)
 Login/Join

posted
Is anyone going to check out the new summer series Masters of Science Fiction? I was hoping they'd do some Bradbury but it seems like the 6 episodes they've done they haven't tapped any Bradbury's stories.

Here's the trailer/commercial for the show.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting info on this series, which sounds excellent and was buried due to the whim of some idiot network exec. Why do idiots become top programmers in a country where intelligent people have trouble finding work?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does sound good, with a talented list of performers. Does anyone have info that Mr. B was contacted for rights to an episode on writing?

http://abc.go.com/specials/mastersofscifi.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malcolm McDowell looks pretty weird...
Premiers tomorrow, eh? Could be good.
Someone give us TV-less ones a report?

(Music for the trailer is in 5/4 time, by the way.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, LordShen; due to ABC's lack of promotion, I wouldn't have known about this otherwise.

OK--given the current status of television; that is, 24, Battlestar, and Heroes on summer hiatus, and Trek, X-Files, TZ, and Outer Limits gone--this was a pretty darned good show. The acting was great in this episode, the story was excellent, but I would've liked to have seen a little bit better production values. You know--crisp, sharp images with good color saturation, except when it helps the story to do otherwise.

I'll give it a 4 on my scale of 5, and that's because the only competition on right now is Burn Notice on USA.

Oh, Professor Hawking deserves an Emmy just for doing the intro. Overall, think the Outer Limits with a Hawking intro.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The show was good, thought provoking science fiction. No alien makeup needed.

I have one question. How does Professor Hawking put the inflection in his electronic voice? Amazing!

Bralling II,
Wait patiently for the DVDs and then pounce on those suckers and enjoy. This was the kind of show we mourn the loss of.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say 3 out of 5 stars simply because they seemed to jump to commercials every 5 minutes. The show itself deserved 4 stars, but it was just the first episode. I guess this show was filmed a while ago and was set to premiere LAST summer but ABC has been trying to bury it. I fear the worst for this show.

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone see tonights (8/11/o7)? It was significantly better imho over the premiere. Relatively topical, too. Next week we will see Malcolm MacDowell.

Anyone? Am I alone in watching these?

posted Hide Post
I liked the first one better, but overall I'd say it's a pretty good series so far. I'm watching it for sure.

I'm not sure about battlestar, a bunch of the actors (including Starbuck) from that show are going to be on the new Bionic Woman show on NBC this fall, so I've been wondering if it's been canceled.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
I liked the first one better, but overall I'd say it's a pretty good series so far. I'm watching it for sure.

I'm not sure about battlestar, a bunch of the actors (including Starbuck) from that show are going to be on the new Bionic Woman show on NBC this fall, so I've been wondering if it's been canceled.

I certainly hope BSG isn't canceled. I think I'd have heard something, too, from my BSG fangroup on MySpace. I'll have to look now! You have me worried!

I'm looking forward to the new Bionic Woman, though there IS some trepidation in me about the series, too.

posted Hide Post
Celebrating wife's birthday this weekend, went to drive-in theater last night that's about 45 minutes away. Saw Chuck and Larry, and License to Wed, and ate corn dogs and theaterburgers. So, I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I have it taped.

Re BSG, it was announced (actually leaked, then confirmed) a couple months ago that this upcoming season would be the last. The writers envisioned "a beginning, a middle, and an end," and they wanted to stay with their original idea for the show.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenswake:
Celebrating wife's birthday this weekend, went to drive-in theater last night that's about 45 minutes away. Saw Chuck and Larry, and License to Wed, and ate corn dogs and theaterburgers. So, I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I have it taped.

Re BSG, it was announced (actually leaked, then confirmed) a couple months ago that this upcoming season would be the last. The writers envisioned "a beginning, a middle, and an end," and they wanted to stay with their original idea for the show.

RE: BSG: That's not so bad then. I was afraid it was just going to be canned. Let us know what u think of this week's eps. of MoSF, plz!

posted Hide Post
Interesting episode; I did like it better than the first. Still (way) too many commercials, and the show looks edited to accommodate them.
Thank heaven for the fast-forward button.

Mixed feelings on the plot. So many, many things have been written across the vastness of time, it's really difficult to get something new. There's an original series Trek episode that this reminded me of thematically, and I was also reminded of an old book, "Chariots of the Gods."

But, that said, there were some very good words written here, about fear and about hope. And again, excellent acting. I'm still watching.

posted Hide Post
LordShen,
Yes, I’ve been watching. Folks must remember that these shows aren’t trying to be original but to showcase the masters’ stories. “The Awakening” was actually Howard Fast’s “The General Zapped An Angel” (1970) and a very good tale for it’s time. This week it’s Heinlein’s “Jerry Was A Man”. Looks like they made some changes but it may still work.

I’ve liked all of the shows so far.

Best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm off tonight. I'll finally get to see it. If it's on tonight. ABC is doing virtually no advertising, I haven't seen a single commercial. Although I don't watch that much TV, others in the house do, and they're totally oblivious to the show's existence.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post