Ray Bradbury Hompage    raybradburyboard.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Extremely Disappointed

Moderators: philnic, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extremely Disappointed
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Ray Bradbury fans, my name is Phillip Tanderad, I’m a seventh grade student in a small town in and Nova Scotia Canada. For my English class me and my three friends had to analyze Rays story “All Summer in a a day”. After spending ten precious minutes of our time, we got to the ending of that particular abomination, and realized how terrible the ending is. We believe that Ray should be brought back to life, and forced to make an ending that actually provides closure. For years of my life I have read nothing but rays literature, and I have been very satisfied. Starting today we will not read anything ever written by Mr. Bradbury until the ending is changed.

Phillipwwll

Posts: 1 | Location: Antigonish Nova Scotia | Registered: 11 October 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would you like it to end?

Is there an alternative ending that would make sense to you, and that would still make for a satisfying story?

Think of one, and you'll feel better. Smiler

Posts: 605 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Philip:

Since Ray passed away in 2012, the ending to "All Summer in A Day" will never be changed. And if you keep your promise never to read anything by him again, you're going to be missing out on some wonderful books and stories (unless you are a much older person like me, and have read almost everything he ever wrote).

As for myself, I think "All Summer in A Day" is one of Ray's most wonderful stories, and has the perfect ending to this melancholy tale. However, I also think that DouglasSP's suggestion is a great one: why don't you write an ending to the story that you think would be more satisfactory? Given that Ray loved to encourage young writers, I think he would second the suggestion.

Good luck to you and your classmates on your homework assignment.

Posts: 874 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip Tanderad:
We believe that Ray should be brought back to life...

Great idea! And after he kicks Thom Mayne's bum he can get on that rewrite!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6864 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
How would you like it to end?

Is there an alternative ending that would make sense to you, and that would still make for a satisfying story?

Think of one, and you'll feel better. Smiler

If at all possible get ahold of the short film made in 1982. Although some Ray Bradbury Theater episodes also vary or expand on the original stories, this particular version provided a wonderful ending without compromising the original story in any way.

(Here is a link to save you the trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV-rzGx21rw )

I have never reconciled with the ending of "Season of Disbelief" (it's the section of Dandelion Wine dealing with Mrs. Bentley). I always feel, and always will, that she made the wrong decision, period, but I guess Ray's intention was to make a lasting impact which he did. Overall my life has been incalculably enriched by his work and I hope yours is too!

Posts: 6935 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post