Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    First Look at My Ray Bradbury Tribute Sculpture!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Look at My Ray Bradbury Tribute Sculpture!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Montag from Fahrenheit 451, with the Captain from The Martian Chronicles and Sam Parkhill cowering behind with drawn weapon.

A better closeup than before of Montag.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was ROBBED at the Columbia County Fair when my photo essay on this only got a red!

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did better with my hand-painted Day of the Dead skull rocks and Egyptian sarcophagus, which all got blues. Here they are added to the sculpture after appearing in the Fair.

posted Hide Post

The Beautiful One is Here!

posted Hide Post
Loving this, dandelion.

Is Pi to be found?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Loving this, dandelion.

Is Pi to be found?

Why, is it lost?

posted Hide Post
Perhaps Linnl meant Pip...?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, there was a Charles Dickens figure I could have got, but didn't as it looked more like Captain Haddock from Tintin.

posted Hide Post
Was thinking of Py. My bad. Wink Please continue.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pi, Py, Poe, Papa. What's going on here?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is the picture I took special for the Waukegan Public Library's Ray Bradbury Creative Contest. I chose this angle, even though there are things such as the sea monster which look better from other angles, because it was the only way to get as much as possible of the items on both sides of the statue, as well as the flowers, into one picture (they wanted only one) and avoid the gruesome display of the neighbors' house which was accomplished before only by photographing in the dark.

Here is my accompanying entry, which better be good enough. If not, too bad.

"My entry, entitled 'Ray Bradbury Tribute Sculpture,' reflects how Ray Bradbury has influenced my life in every way and at every level since discovering his work at age 13. The main figure is of a little boy much resembling Ray around the age of six, looking into a jar of fireflies. It is solar lighted and glows at night. It's so inspiring to see Ray surrounded by his many loves and influences and the ideas which arose from them taking shape through him. The setting employs driftwood suggestive of a sea monster rising from the base, ending in a Halloween Tree, with many levels in between. The figures depict characters and concepts from many of Bradbury's stories, with light, dark, science fiction, fantasy, and Weird Tales represented. The yellow flowers are calendula and Big Bang Galaxy Coreopsis, representing dandelions. (Behind are some huge yellow dandelion-like flowers but I don't know their names and they've gone past.) Many items I already liked, but have learned to love the more due to their association with and influence on Bradbury. I started assembling this the same month Ray left us, needing some way to express his permanent impact on my every perception. It is only fitting to have a monument to him which is the first thing I see on entering, leaving, or looking into my yard."