Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    A Halloween Tree
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Halloween Tree
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Kids today have got to know about Ray Bradbury. Visiting a local library this month, I noticed the annual display of kids' books about Halloween. I eagerly scanned 2-3 rows of books, everything from craft to kiddie lit and cutesy illustrated bedtime-story books---but no copy of Ray's Halloween Tree! Sensing an amazing lapse either of memory or literary judgment, I approached one of the librarians and suggested it for display, and sure enough: it's now there, the 2007 Knopf slender hardcover edition, with the jacket illustration by Leo and Diane Dillon. Feels like a small triumph to improve a book display. Smiler

I want kids to find Ray Bradbury's books, as I did: 6th grade, school library card in hand, a love of reading. I discovered Ray through THT, and I still recall the wonder of finding a writer who I was sure was talking to me, penning the gifts of a season and a holiday as only he could.

Lots of good trees around our town that would make a great Halloween tree.

Enjoy the "autumn treasure."

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Night to all the RB fans who venture here to share their knowledge, lessons, and inspiration.
Thanks, Mr. Bradbury.

Ah, the doorbell. . . "Trick or Treat!"
http://www.history.com/news/hu...2013/10/pumpkins.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Two years and a few days since the last visit to this chapter of RB related rituals) Halloween Tree Time!

The Grand Oak now painted with Orange leaves. Many Orange orbs just added. Ornamental Orange illuminations also strung. Autumn winds crossing through the neighborhood. All awaits the annual arrival of those creepy creatures and super heroes of all ages!

Thanks, Mr. B, for the approaching of more October nights filled with your always amazing images!

http://vcrown.com/wp-content/u...-for-Halloween-1.jpg

http://www.arts-stew.com/wp-co...lloween-Pumpkins.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Here is my front window effort for this year. Most of the things were originally intended for outside but turned out way too awesome, or were outside but came off my Ray Bradbury tribute sculpture and are now in until such time as repairs can be made. In the upper part of the window are Snoopy and Woodstock at a cauldron, and Linus with a small pumpkin, and the two witches, wicked and good, from The Wizard of Oz.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the Creatures.... old - young - tall - small - near & far!

http://cdn2.business2community...-image-halloween.jpg

posted Hide Post
Cultural Question: Does anyone remember a Halloween tree being a thing before Ray's book came out, or even before the cartoon version? I don't! Nowadays they are all over the place and available for order online ready made in various sizes! There also seem to have been miniature versions available for tabletop party decor for quite some time, maybe thirty or forty years? Many ornaments and lights are also now available. Is this a direct result of Ray's work, or just another excuse to sell holiday swag? Discuss.

(P. S. I enjoyed making spooky trees of driftwood as a child, at least two years before reading the book.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know it Ray ever saw them but there are Halloween postcards from 1910 and 1911 showing Jack O'Lanterns hanging from a tree.

Imagea87831924fa11d3f702406c51fb79cd5.jpg (94 Kb, 14 downloads)

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is another postcard image. Also, 1910.
I actually gave Ray one of these at the World Con in Atlanta (1986)

Imagehalloween_tree_postcard.jpg (155 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is just so darn special! Thank you so much!