Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Couple of neat asteroid-related items summer 2019

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple of neat asteroid-related items summer 2019
 Login/Join

posted
1. I'm currently reading The Rock From Mars by Kathy Sawyer which is a fascinating popular history sort of piece re: the discovery in Antarctica of what came to be known as "ALH84001", a small meteorite/asteroid which apparently originated on Mars during a comet impact on that planet.

2. According to the Washington Post there was a near miss by a 400-foot asteroid a few days ago. Newspaper article contains a really cool video.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...idnt-detect-it-time/

I have a clear memory of the year 1958 approx. being 4-5 years old and there was some movie being shown out of one of the TV networks... black and white of course. "Fantastic Planet" or "When Worlds Collide" or something. And I asked my grandmother if she thought it was possible for... volcanic ejecta say on another planet to escape the pull of gravity and eventually hit our earth as a meteorite!

(She said it seemed like it might be technically possible...)

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post