Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    "Growing Up With Ray Bradbury's Ghost in Waukegan, Illinois"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Growing Up With Ray Bradbury's Ghost in Waukegan, Illinois"
 Login/Join

posted
From the Lit Hub website, the following is an interesting article by Colleen Abel who, like Ray Bradbury, grew up in Waukegan, Illinois, albeit many years after Ray lived there. The article is called "Growing Up With Ray Bradbury's Ghost in Waukegan, Illinois". Ms. Abel does not share Ray's sentimental and nostalgic view of their hometown, although given the difference in generations that perhaps should not be surprising. When I spoke to Ray much later in his life, he was certainly aware of the challenges faced by the town where he grew up, but that never stopped him from expressing his appreciation and love for Waukegan.

https://lithub.com/growing-up-...n-waukegan-illinois/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article!

I also always thought it strange that Bradbury would be an admirer of Reagan or Bush, even after reading the various reasons in coverage on his views.

A couple of years ago I was conversing with a customer, a black truck driver in his forties, who said he was heading back for Illinois, and I expressed my interest in Waukegan, if he had ever been there. He was somewhat taken aback saying "Why would you want to go there? It has 'suchandsuch' people that would come across the street and cut you!"

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before going to Waukegan, I was warned about weird sailors roaming the streets, but everyone I met was kind and helpful.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Before going to Waukegan, I was warned about weird sailors roaming the streets, but everyone I met was kind and helpful.

Good to know! Seems more likely. I should have added I'd still like to visit.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My visit was in June 1984.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post