Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Anyone have plans yet for Halloween?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have plans yet for Halloween?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
grassy has Boris Karloff's intonation down perfectly.

BTW, Karloff was never identified as the actor in the movie. In the credits it merely read "The Monster."

(October of 01 the RB board came to life. ("More power! Fritz, we need more power!")

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, actually, if memory serves, the opening credits just have a question mark for the actor playing the monster. Then, in the closing credits, I seem to recall, it lists "Karloff" (without "Boris"). Been awhile, though. Could be wrong.

Ah, Fritz! The incomparable Dwight Frye!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, "?" You got it. It had been awhile here, too.

Did you ever hear or read that the scene where the Monster is floating the daisies with the little girl, until he runs out of flowers and launches the child, was actually not included in the original movie theater showings. From what I recall, somehow, they thought it was far too powerful for the public's viewing. So, it was not shown until much later with release of commercial copies.

In any event, it is a far cry from what is now allowed on prime time tv, video games, and cartoons for kids.

I'll have to revisit that classic's conclusion and take a closer notice on the "Karloff." (I won't bet against you though, Pard! I still remember that night at the Buffalo Creek Saloon when you put down your four jacks against that flashy tinhorn's full house. And I thought you were bluffing him the whole time!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to dig out my "Films of Boris Karloff" when I get home; but I think when the film was released, it may have had that scene and it was pulled later as it was too upsetting. Also, the film (black&white) was originally released in a green tint!

Oh, and the 4th jack was surreptitiously handed to me under the table by a good buddy...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post