Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Paperback Show ~ 2008MAR30 (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Paperback Show ~ 2008MAR30
 Login/Join

by Doug Spaulding (created on )Gallery | Comments 
More photos from the show today.

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
frightful

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...but oh so delightful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dough,

I envy you the ability to move around the halls so freely.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Dough is a good word.

And then it becomes bread - an even better word!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
In my best Homer Simpson voice, "DOH!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
March 16th, 2014.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
March 16th, 2014.

And here you go! We were missing 4E and RB this year.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Why was I there?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Why was I there?

Well, since trying to keep HE on point was, as you said "like herding cats", I have no idea. Every time you left the area, HE would jump the table and attempt to engage a member of The Crowd in fisticuffs. Even Susan couldn't control him, and after a couple hours gave up trying, grabbing the money, her purse and calling a taxi!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
And there was even a write-up!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Supposedly retired on the point of death four years ago, http://www.thedailypage.com/is...le.php?article=30610 and now picking fights? Do tell!

Cori

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read the posts here and saw the pics of Mr. Ellison, I was pleased to see him again in the middle of the mix!

In Reviewing jtk's blog and discovering, "Our special guest this year was Harlan Ellison, always irascible and entertaining," and with DS adding, HE was was oft on the brink to "engage a member of The Crowd in fisticuffs. It doesn't get any better than that!!

Yet, to also read of Mr. Ellison's "Class" act of staying to finish signings long after all others had left... Well, this said it all. (Today's "artists" would be constantly checking watches and then brisked off in their limos to a more important cocktail party.)

Per jtk's: "One sad note, this is now the only show of its type in the world. It used to be just the largest in the world, now it is alone unto itself."

Having taught the classic HGW book so many times, this scene rushed to mind. That "B-Word!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SzFQcYrpBA

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Supposedly retired on the point of death four years ago ... and now picking fights? Do tell!

Harlan's "I'm dying" phase of a couple of years ago was never meant as "I am about to die". It was more a statement that he had an acute awareness of his mortality, brought on by seeing so many of his lifelong friends passing away, and by his own series of serious illnesses.

Shortly after this phase, he announced that he had been diagnosed with clinical depression and that he was being medicated for that condition.

Just recently, he has rebounded somewhat, but he finds these public events exhausting and usually takes several days to recover. (He is 80 years old in a couple of months after all.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Harlan's "I'm dying" phase of a couple of years ago was never meant as "I am about to die". It was more a statement that he had an acute awareness of his mortality, brought on by seeing so many of his lifelong friends passing away, and by his own series of serious illnesses.
I thought it was because of the congestive heart failure!

quote:
Just recently, he has rebounded somewhat, but he finds these public events exhausting and usually takes several days to recover.
True. Remember that time a little over a year ago when you contacted me and told me that HE was trying to get ahold of me? This would have been shortly after his appearance at the Cinefamily event. Well, I called him and, at his request, went over to the house to take care of the paraphernalia and sundry he needed me for and he answered the door in his pyjamas and robe, explaining that he was sorry he couldn't be more entertaining but that he had been in bed for several days after the event - it wore him out, he said.

"Live Forever!"