Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    First Issued Martian Drivers' License (Personal Album)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
First Issued Martian Drivers' License
 Login/Join

by jkt (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Last Summer Ray was at JPL. During this visit Ray actually drove a Mars Rover. To honor this event Ray was issued the FIRST Martian Drivers' License.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply Perfect!

I want one, too.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appropriate and way kewl, thanks!

Cori

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. This is cool. I hate to see us stop developing a return to the moon with a goal of Mars and beyond. But, perhaps when the economy is going better and we have a vision beyond the kind of limited vision we have now, we may see these programs return again. Man dies without a vision.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Especially ironic since Mr. B has never gotten his Earthman's driver's license!

As for our soon to be misguided space direction, can you image what it would have been like growing up not completely enthralled by the space adventures we have experienced over the past 40+ years??

". . . . . 4, 3, 2, 1. Lift off! We have lift off!" Rooms filled with wide-eyed 6-12 year olds, watching b&w tv's, set up just for these historic events in elementary schools across the USA! Great stuff!)

(Book on this topic, October Sky - originally Rocket Boy -, H. Hickam)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Book on this topic, October Sky - originally Rocket Boy -, H. Hickam

Have you noticed that October Sky is an anagram of Rocket Boys? Isn't that interesting? Good film too.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS,
I almost added a note on that as I wrote but am glad your observant eye caught the quirk.

Yes, a good movie. From the coal mines of West Virginia to the depth of space...ah, dreams!

As for travels on Mars, I hear the roads are much like those which pass through the Mts. of PA!
http://galaxywire.net/wp-conte...ils-spirit-rover.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury is taller than me!

JPL has a way we can all go to Mars.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/index.cfm

...and see bottom right icon.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
...JPL has a way we can all go to Mars...

Thanks Linnl, I've signed up and am on my way to Mars. To infinity and beyond!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post